• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Great Western Icknield Street Hockley

jotarby

Brummie babby
Please can anyone help me?

I was born in 1969 at The Great Western in Icknield Street and I would love to see where I was born, but I know it was knocked down a long time ago.

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of it as I can not seem to find any trace of it.

I know my brother and I used to play in the cemetery that was over the road.

I would love to be able to see where my life began.

Welcome jotarby,I assume this is the pub in question.Not a very good picture i am afraid to say.moss

Attachments

• Great Western,Camden St,Hockley.jpg
    Great Western,Camden St,Hockley.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 45
I am wondering if the other street is Icknield street, do you know if there was a cemetery opposite?

Sorry it must be this one then.moss

Attachments

• notes from annual budget meeting 2014 2015_0001.jpg
    notes from annual budget meeting 2014 2015_0001.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 45
The pub may be gone, as is the wonderful railway bridge - it's a shadow of it's former self - but the Cemetery is till there, if you want to come and play?

I think this pub was right by Hockley station, you would of been heading down Icknield street, then under " The Archies" as you come from under The Archies, Hockley Station was on the left. You can see the road that separates Hockley Station from The Great Western, Looking at the photo, Key hill Cemetry would have been to the right across Icknield Street.
In Hockley Station grounds was an Air Raid shelter, to the right as you went to buy your ticket.
There is a story that a soldier on leave from the war was killed crossing that corner.

Hi guys I do not have any inside pics of it but as our friend mossy would know it was always a Friday night and sat nights and of course any domino
Matches being played it was most certainly busy during the week days no but every lunch time yes and probably up until around seven when it died off
I used to pass it every day of the week when at school of ickneild street on the brook and when I got to sixteen we used it on the week ends on our pub crawl
And yes of course our dear old friend mossy along with another friend of mine called. Micky would always have a jar or two before moving back to our own neck of the woods it was nice to mention the vaults anther joint we frenqented whilst mentionine the great Weston I myself are surprised it was registered at ickneild street because the accomadation was more around on park rd if the officials have it registered there it must be
Incidently on the mention of park rd going down there you have got Leopold street that's where the hills family and the mystrieas burrows whom was in my class at ickneild street Shockley brook and just at the bottom corner facing the vaults was Charles Harris where my old man worked there all his life as a bake light moulder
It was great to see the old western again many thanks best wishes astonian

Hi guys
I am just wondering whether or not. And to say big thanks mossy for putting the western on our map on the forum
But notary did say about the possibility of another ickneild street with a cemetery on it
Well my queeriy is that there was a pub just before you go under the bridge and I am pretty sure it was an ansells pub just like coming out of the bridge the other end
And crossing over to the western but in this case it would you would come out of the pub and cross over pitford street as it was then and is still just so
And walk under the bridge and come out the over side and cross into the western ,now to me this makes sense because the first pub before going under the bridge of ickneild street because there living quarters was on ickneild street as where the western was on park rd,plus the fact giving the cemetery of ickneild street
Was split into two halfs and the one half was facing the ickneild street com , but its real title would be war stone lane com by deed poll
But if you did not know the different then and presume its icknield street com if you get my drift
So it very well could be that pub if he cannot recall its name just like me. I just cannot recall its name and k know that you and Micky was prone to have the odd pint there in your passing ii used to go out with sheila mickies sister if you can think back that far when they left Shakespeare rd and moved down to heath street oppersire the Shakespeare pub across the red from his house on heath street I am just thinking out aloud to myself here I did this pub on the forum many years ago but like most people I just cannot recall the the name KT was a tiled wall all around the pub and it was on the corner of pit fort street facing
The railway pub andpickfords removal heavy lorries offices was just up pick fort street and they used the rail way siding as well as the arches up Pickford street
And I reckon that's where jotar kid brother would have played around the cattombes just like us when we was kids from king Edwards red up by spring hill
Best wishes moss and to all members I would be very intrested to hear of this pub if any of our experts can dig the listing out and it was the next one down from the mint pub your old haurnt of Micky and you and and the trainers. Astonian. Alan

Astonian

I believe that pub on the corner Pitsford Street and Icknield Street was called The Commercial, as I said in an earlier post, at one time it was run By Joe Batche who played for Aston Villa and appeared in a couple of F.A, cup finals. My Mom and Dad use to drink there. The other cemetry that started after The Archies on the right was called Key Hill. I believe it is the resting place of Nevil Chamberlain.

Hi captain
It would not been the one on the corner of George street west and Camden street because there was only tow pubs in Camden street that was the grotto ,and the one on the corner of George street west where other used to be an old police phone box out side for the local copper used to report in
And there was no cemetery there across the red. Astonian

Astonian

I remember the Trainers, as I went to school with one of them. There was another guy who use to drink with them in The Mint called Bobby MCearney, they were involved in a a bad car smash and If I am right poor Bobby was killed in the accident and the rest of them in the car were badley injured.

Astonian

1. The first photo put up by Moss, is the pub on the corner of George Street West and Camden Street, by the old rec, there was another pub in Camden Street called The Napier, it was by The Ten O'clock shop.
2. The second photo by Moss is the pub was where Notary was born with Key Hill cemetry across Icknield Street. Check the post number 7

Hi captain
Just looking back on your thread saying you went to school with one of the trainors but I was really interested in the at smash
Do you recall amid called wholly watkings from Ladywood always wore a leather jacket and dark sun glasses wally was a good old friend of mine he was a popular kid I expect mossy may know of your friend but my friend was also in a car with some one whom they all got kileed I wonder if its there same. Crew astonian

Astonian

We are drifting dangerously off topic, I will send you a Private post

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not personal when modorators have to remove off topic posts, it can makes some threads impossible to read. We need to keep things tidy to keep members interested. It's a good idea to use pm especially if the topic is sensitive. Thanks.

HI hi Captain and alberta and wendy
many thanks for the message indicater of warning to us between the captain and myself for treading the line i was not really thinking properly late lost night
and i was rushing to get through alot on the home front but any way thanks guys
i will reply later today to the captain through the PM Service we have as i have afew pesonal things to mention to him ;
have a nice day every body bes wishes Astonian. ;;;;

Does anyone recall a Gt Western Terrace, in the 1881 Census Alfred Gregory (my Great Grandfather) and family are listed at Ickneld Street, 8 Gt Western Terrace. It has obviously disappeared now but would be interested if anyone knows where it was and if there are any pictures/maps of it.
Regards
Stephen Gould

Back