• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Great War Of Civilisation Medal

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
Hi everyone - I recently picked up a Great War for Civilisation (Victory Medal) off an auction site which unfortunately isn't in the best of condition.

I am intrigued as to the person who was awarded this medal as he would have seen active duty in order to be awarded it.

The name on the rim shows:

227341 . A . 2 . CPL. D Macphee . R . E.

I am assuming that this hero was a corporal in the Royal Engineers?

Any information would be greatly received as it would be great to trace his dependants and give the medal to them to cherish.

Mabz

His service record has survived and it gives his address in 1915 as Toll Gate House, (what looks like Fayley) Fazeley(?), Staffs. Wife was Beatrice and children listed in 1915 as Angus, Hugh, Frederick and Samuel. Address on demob is 52 Coleshill Street Fazeley.

Attachments

• Macphee.JPG
    Macphee.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Macphee next of kin.JPG
    Macphee next of kin.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Macphee demob.JPG
    Macphee demob.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 8
That is really interesting as I purchased it off someone from Tamworth so it hasn't travelled far?

Thank you both so much - Janice hopefully the information that you provided might help someone identify their late relative?

Thanks. Mabz ☺

In 1911 they are in Cardiff.

Duncan was born in 1878 Macduff, Banffshire
Beatrice (nee Daniel/Daniels) was born in Appledore, Devon
Eldest son was born in Swansea, other three in Cardiff

hi ya mabz...just thinking that if there is a family tree on ancestry for duncan it would give you contact with his family..

lyn

Last edited:
mabz..far as i can see there are 4 family trees on ancestry for duncan...if you are on ancestry you will be able to contact one of them yourself.. if not i am happy to make contact with one of them (will find the closest rellie if i can) and pass on your contact details with a brief message explaining what it is all about...

lyn

Last edited:
It appears that the youngest son, Samuel Duncan, moved to the black country, death registered Mar 1988, Wolverhampton.
Married and had two sons, the eldest of which had 2 sons and a daughter, who are all appear (according to 192) to be living in Newport, Shropshire.

Hugh appears to have died unmarried, death registered Mar 1929, Tamworth.

Of the children Hugh seems to have died in 1929 - registered at Tamworth. Frederick died 1994 - death registered at Lichfield. Samuel died 1988 - registered at Wolverhampton. Frederick seems to have had 4 daughters Wilhelmina born 1929, Betty born 1930, June born 1933 and Jennifer born 1944. Jennifer seems to have married in 1962 to Thomas Casey. Samuel seems to have 2 sons Duncan born 1939 and Robert born 1944. Angus seems to have one daughter born 1925 and one son Colin born in 1926.

Back