• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Great Stone Northfield

Thank you for posting these photos of the Great Stone, Michael. One of our oldest pubs, this pub deserves greater recognition.
Shirley

Absolutely right, Michael. That is an animal pound & I was fascinated by it as a child. I cannot think of another old pound in Birmingham.
Shirley

We used to say "it was the only pub where you could buy beer by the pound!!"
My mom worked there years ago.

Whilst British Listed Buildings describe the Great Stone Inn at Church Lane as "18C added to" other writers describe it as being rather older. Does anyone know the age of the brick rebuild? I am just curious.
There was a book / booklet / pamphlet / article published specificaly on the Great Stone, but I cannot find it for sale or online anywhere. John & Jean Smith, in their book "Northfield Past & Present" report that the Inn is 17C, but do not cite their source.

The Victoria county history states;
NORTHFIELD retains more village character in the area immediately surrounding the churchyard than any of the other parishes which have been absorbed into Greater Birmingham. The buildings are not of great individual interest but include a group of cottages dated 1750 and the Great Stone Inn, a whitewashed brick house of about the same date
From: 'Secular Architecture', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 43-57. URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22961&strquery=great stone Date accessed: 08 October 2012.

Photograph on ebay from what looks like the 50's showing "The Great Stone"

Attachments

• great stone.jpg
    great stone.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 38
Photograph on ebay from what looks like the 50's showing "The Great Stone"

The Great Stone now has a Blue Plaque, and is in the Animal Pound...

“For generations the Great Stone lay at the corner of Church Road and Church Hill and it protected the wall of the Great Stone Inn from traffic. The feet of generations of school children going to and from the church school around the corner have polished the top surface. Then in 1954, for safety reasons, the rock was moved by BCC a few metres along to its current resting place, the 17th century former Animal Pound, within the grounds of the Great Stone Inn.”

https://www.birminghamcivicsociety.org.uk/great-stone-northfield/

October 1829...

At the Court Leet, at the Great Stone, Northfield, Mr John Whitehouse was appointed constable, and Mr Joseph Newell, Headborough.

Got the plaque photos a few weekends ago.

and The Village Pound.

Behind this gate on Church Road in Northfield. Easy to miss, if you don't look inside the bars!

I like the Pound, surprised it still exists. The gate and window bars could be original. Nice find Ell.

Pound was restored in the 1970s. Another article claims there might have been a pound there in the 15th century.

Think it's worth having a Northfield Pound thread. Shall set one up later,
Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Post 10, of this thread, has a link to Bill Dargue's web site which gives some detail and a photo of the outer pound wall from another direction.

I like the Pound, surprised it still exists. The gate and window bars could be original. Nice find Ell.

Viv.

I was told by one of the Open Plaques people on Twitter about it (was in Wales at the time). And popped down the first Sunday that I was back in Birmingham! Somehow I missed The Pound when I originally got the Great Stone pub back in 2010!

The Great Stone and The Pound is to the right of the pub.

Back