• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Great Stone Inn Northfield.

W

Wendy

This photo is of the Great Stone Inn Northfield 1941. The other photo taken in 1981 is of the stone pictured at the corner of the pub.
The stone was called "The Village Pound".

Attachments

• Northfield Great Stone Inn 1941.jpg
    Northfield Great Stone Inn 1941.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 9
Wendy,

Was that a typo, when they moved The Great Stone from outside the Inn of the same name on the corner. They moved in to the Village Pound that is located next door. The stone is not called the village pound.

Here's another photo with a better view of the original location of the grat stone.

Phil

NorthfieldTheGreatStoneInn.jpg

I seem to recall an old saying which went something like 'it's the only pub where beer is sold by the pint, by the stone and by the pound'!

Bob

My mom's first home was not far from there, at her nan's 5 Church Road. That's the Bristol Rd. end. Has anyone any photos of that part of Church Rd? After the shopping centre was built on the Bristol Rd., you could still see her nan's house, poking up from behind. The last one standing. But it's gone now.
Ann

Pmc that picture of the stone on the corner,its called Butt Stone it is used by the old Coaches,they put the back wheels against it to enable to turn in tight roads

There is one in the village where i now live:)Mossy

Wendy,

And here's a colour photo of The Great Stone Inn.
Ann

Attachments

• Northfield Great Stone Inn Church Rd.jpg
    Northfield Great Stone Inn Church Rd.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 10
I moved to NZ in 1970 I used to live in Northfield until went into RAFin 1955 I can remember the pub being used for church services when the church across the road was closed The church tower had death watch beetle thy thought the tower might fall down

The Stone was a marvelous little pub I used to frequent in the 70's. we ran a very successful football team from there for ten years in the Festival League.
Andy Grey was our coach and his brother Duncan played. They, also with Peter Warren and Big John Rawson, opened a club in town underneath the railway arches call " The Holy City Zoo".

We all still see each other and had a reunion in 2005 Great Times!!
I appear in both the photos, Boy how time changes us all, a before and after event. :':)D

Al Jackson lead singer of The Applejacks was the gaffer at The Great Stone in the late sixties. Remember.. Tell Me When!

I used the Stone regularly in the late 70's/early 80's although it had a reputation as a biker pub back then, we never had so many good times as we had there,Micky Hamilton (?) was the landlord.

I know that this thread has been asleep for 7 years, but is the great stone still outside the pub?

Fabian

It has now been moved into the Village Pound next door to the Inn.

Attachments

• Northfield Church Lane-Rd  Village  Pound.JPG
    Northfield Church Lane-Rd Village Pound.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 13
The Stone was a marvelous little pub I used to frequent in the 70's. we ran a very successful football team from there for ten years in the Festival League.
Andy Grey was our coach and his brother Duncan played. They, also with Peter Warren and Big John Rawson, opened a club in town underneath the railway arches call " The Holy City Zoo".

We all still see each other and had a reunion in 2005 Great Times!!
I appear in both the photos, Boy how time changes us all, a before and after event. :':)D
I used to frequent the Stone in my early teens with my sister Jude on 'Folk Night' Does anyone else remember the great sing songs and the talented singers and players there? I soon progressed to more psychedelic and underground music and enjoyed the City Centre night-life including Mothers', Henry's Blues House and other clubs such as the Shoop, The Loch and 'The Holy City Zoo'. Yes times they are a changing! Good to look back though.

My mom's first home was not far from there, at her nan's 5 Church Road. That's the Bristol Rd. end. Has anyone any photos of that part of Church Rd? After the shopping centre was built on the Bristol Rd., you could still see her nan's house, poking up from behind. The last one standing. But it's gone now.
Ann
Hi, I used to live at 76 church road, the stone was my local from 1968 thru 1972 then I moved around a lot not been back for a while, thanks for memories

Back