• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Granville Westward Ho! Broad Street

S

Stitcher

ss~2.jpeg

This is the corner of Granville Street and Broad Street and the pub is called 'The Granville'. It was built in 1923, more recently the pub was re-named as 'The Westward Ho!' but in later years it reverted back to The Granville.View attachment 62573

de.jpeg

This is another shot of The Granville in 1964.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mum was born here May 1928. My granddad, Henry Arthur Partridge was the proprietor. The family moved to Coventry where Grandad ran the TollGate from its opening in 1938-til he retired in 1958. I will look through some old family photos to see if I have any photos of the inside.

welcome to the forum adrian....any photos that you can post would be a great asset to this thread...thank you

lyn

I worked there for a couple of years leaving in the Spring of 1972. It was the Westward Ho at the time and the manager was Walter Lacey. I have very found memories of the place.

I worked there for a couple of years leaving in the Spring of 1972. It was the Westward Ho at the time and the manager was Walter Lacey. I have very found memories of the place.
Hello JoeQ were you there when he got done by the Weight's and Measure's people for short measure's ? My mate used to use the Crown when Wally managed the Granville /Westward Ho . On a Saturday night my friend tells me Wally used to have his tea break in the Crown he'd come down for a quick slurp for about 15minutess then he'd head back

Hello JoeQ were you there when he got done by the Weight's and Measure's people for short measure's ? My mate used to use the Crown when Wally managed the Granville /Westward Ho . On a Saturday night my friend tells me Wally used to have his tea break in the Crown he'd come down for a quick slurp for about 15minutess then he'd head back
That must have been after my time. I recall Walter used to pop down to the Crown quite often. The regulars would sing (to the tune of Chirpy Chirpy Tweet Tweet!) 'Where has Walter gone - down The Crown Again!'

Back