• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Grand Picture Palace Soho Rd

Image31-1.jpg

Between Boulton Road and Nineveh Road in towards town. Its now a shop that sells furniture / carpets.

thanks for that pic topsy...it really saddens me to see how the soho road has changed from when our mom used to take me shopping there..

lyn

Me also Lyn, Mom and i used to go to the market, woolworths etc . You name it ,you could get it. I haven,t been up that way for years.

topsy i remember a shop called blundells up the soho road..our mom used to put a bit aside each week to buy our christmas presents....

happy days

Same here Lyn , Mom used to get us an new outfit every Holiday and other things for the house.I am not sure but i think the clubman came for the weekly payments.

yes i think we had a collector come to the door...well actually we had a few...the coalman..milkman.rent man...and the provvy lol...

Mom had a man from S & U stores that used to come weekly for payments for various goods that she purchased. I think that the man who owned it had something to do with Birmingham City football club.

You are correct Clive S & U was owned by the Coombs family, I worked for their family solicitor and once visited their house in Four Oaks,
a beautiful Art Deco place.

clive the name s and u rings a bell with me...bet our mom had a collector for them as well lol...love art deco alberta i wonder if the house is still there...

lyn

thanks viv i think the building is still there but used for something different now

lyn
I think it was 263 Soho Road show here on the right 'Soho Mini Market', building on left looks similar with '1912' heading on top. Cinema was opened 27th September 1911.
From 1915 Kelly's
261 soho road.jpg
It re-opened in the late-1970’s as an Asian cinema, known as the Grand Palace Cinema screening East Indian (Bollywood) films, and Kung-Fu films on every Friday. It was closed in 1982, and by 1984 was standing derelict.

It has since been demolished and a small shopping centre named Soho City has been built on the site.

263 soho road.jpg

Last edited:
Back