• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

Blimey, that's the sort of prices we have in London!
hi sparks even though it looks like a great job is being done on the gothic and nearby buildings the whole area would need a lot doing to it before i would even consider paying that much for an apartment in that area hopefully in the next 10 years or so it may look different around there...all very well tarting up the main drag of gt hampton st but you want to see what the surrounding back streets look like..not good although some improvements of certain buildings is going on at the min

lyn

Last edited:
hi sparks even though it looks like a great job is being done on the gothic and nearby buildings the whole area would need a lot doing to it before i would even consider paying that much for an apartment in that area hopefully in the next 10 years or so it may look different around there...all very well tarting up the main drag of gt hampton st but you want to see what the surrounding back streets look like..not good although some improvements of certain buildings is going on at the min

lyn
I would concur with this, except I would not be so diplomatic!

Latest design artwork for Gothic rebuild. View attachment 144944
Wow! What a brilliant "picture" - hope it really does look like this on completion - another piece of heritage saved. The building next door was originally involved in the jewelry trade and later [about 1963?]The Marmoset Nightclub. The building features on the Urban Exploration site and shows much interior detail albeit in a terrible state. Suggested that it was called the Gothic Works. Can be seen at:
www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/the-gothic-works-jewellers-marmoset-nightclub-birmingham.91268/

Hi I am new to this site. I was born 1958 "63" now I love nostalgia started off early life in Spark brook, lived in Nelson road with family as a child, I absolutely Love Witton, and Aston am now living in Handsworth Piers Road. Love Pics of Handsworth, Aston and surrounding areas This site and all members and forums have got me addicted. every night or when I can I view what you all have to offer very interesting. I knew there had to be a station on Soho rd. at sometime and was in awe when I saw a picture of it on this site. Keep up the good work never been on Drugs this site is addictive and I am addicted and starving for more.

john i dont even want to think about that..we nearly lost it in the 80s

lyn
The Gothic SoHo road was that the real name of the pub? also never knew it was a pub Lived in Church Green for 16 years only living in this part of Handsworth for 8 years but so interested in Soho road and history. The gothic is where the no. 46 bus travels, I am going to have to pass this building again an have a proper look.

totally agree with you brian..dont think i know of the plot at st pauls metro stop will try and find it on street view

lyn
yes been derelict for years, ON the same side as the Metro stop that pub come off license is a beauty inside with all the original fixtures what was the name of that little pub? Just before the petrol station.

A matchbox label for the Gothic. Probably about 1960s (?). It was assumed that these would be taken away from the premises. I remember them being freebies - I suppose it was cheap advertising. Viv.
Screenshot_20230630_151603_Chrome.jpg

Back