• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

Good afternoon, gents!

Glad to see you taking an interest in this beautiful building (sadly, soiled with the ugly paint and left for dead for faaaar too long).

Let me begin by introducing myself - I'm the guy who created the future phase building mock-ups for Blackswan :)

Funny bit of speculation you had going on there, especially since I know exactly what's going on, but basically the plan for now, as it stands, is to try and salvage the structures from collapse (I've been inside and have pics - it's in a horrible state!), remove the crappy Gothic extension, along with some buildings on the rear, then to re-vitalize the Gothic and the adjacent buildings (No 2, 3 and 4).

In my original illustrations the client asked us to show a Kobe beef restaurant (hence the flower ornament above the doors), as there was a potential japanese investor who was interested in the place. From what I understand, this won't be the case anymore, but there will still be a bar/restaurant on the ground floor. The floors above, as it stands now,are planned to be turned into a hotel, but it will be a separate entity from the bar/restaurant.

Now here's the interesting bit. In the early days of the Gothic, the corner bit had some signage. We can make out the word "beer" but not the other words. What the client wants is to potentially create a nice neon sign saying "The Gothic" to pay tribute to that historical bit.

If anyone would like to help me out and figure out what the old signs actually said (perhaps find better photos or someone who may know?) - be my guest :)

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to share, so I won't be posting any plans or anything like that, but I will say that there are new images coming as to what the place will look like.
I guess I can share some internal pics, if anyone's interested, as I was just there on a survey...since I have to build the bloody thing in CG now :D

Attached are an old pic of the Gothic with the signage + an internal view I took from the top floor (also featured on Blackswan's website, if you can catch a crop of it there!) + a nicotine-stained coving of the pub area (ground floor).

Hope I've shed some light on this. Feel free to ask questions, of course, but as much as I'd like to answer everything - I will probably have to keep some things a secret for now :)
M and B Good Honest Beers. That was the company tagline and the sign I believe.

Quick reply!
The neon sign is not confirmed or anything, just a thought for now, but I'm sure it wouldn't look garish.

All in all, it's certainly better to have the building revived than to leave it as is. It's in a VERY sad state, both inside and outside. The roof is collapsing, the extension is about to fall over...
I'm not much for health and safety, but walking around inside was definitely not safe!

I'll try Andrew, see if he can help :)

M and B Good Honest Beers. That was the company tagline and the sign I believe.
It seems like you may be right on the money - I can see it in the pic, though it's probably either missing letters or the quality is too bad to make out some. Interesting bit of history there :)

Quick reply!
The neon sign is not confirmed or anything, just a thought for now, but I'm sure it wouldn't look garish.

All in all, it's certainly better to have the building revived than to leave it as is. It's in a VERY sad state, both inside and outside. The roof is collapsing, the extension is about to fall over...
I'm not much for health and safety, but walking around inside was definitely not safe!

I'll try Andrew, see if he can help :)
We all agree RE having the building revived!
Pic from a local pub.

Attachments

• 4259936974_fb9a4debaf_b.jpg
    4259936974_fb9a4debaf_b.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 13
There is guy on Facebook called Keith Jager whose gt gt grandfather came from Austria and had the pub when it was originally called The Gothic Stores - he may have some interesting stuff for you.

Thanks for the heads up. Try Andrew Madam on Facebook he might be able to help with old photos.
Plans are online so no probs with that.
Neon sign could cause some debate.
Biggest concern is contractors in administration!

hi brian just a slight correction...its andrew maxam not madam...all the best

lyn

Now here's the interesting bit. In the early days of the Gothic, the corner bit had some signage. We can make out the word "beer" but not the other words. What the client wants is to potentially create a nice neon sign saying "The Gothic" to pay tribute to that historical bit.

If anyone would like to help me out and figure out what the old signs actually said (perhaps find better photos or someone who may know?) - be my guest :)

Great Hampton Street - Gothic Inn Good Honest Beer.jpg

Being as one can obtain a 250 year lease for an apartment in The Gothic for only £409,000 plus annual service fee, I am considering moving to a location where it is still a bit edgy, oh sorry, I am supposed to say trendy.

Last edited:
Back