• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

totally agree with you brian..dont think i know of the plot at st pauls metro stop will try and find it on street view

lyn

totally agree with you brian..dont think i know of the plot at st pauls metro stop will try and find it on street view

lyn
Big empty plot to left of entrance from constitution hill. Was originally going to follow on from my block when this was finished but that was the time of the last economic crash. Always said when that one starts again there must be some confidence around although I do worry there may be too many apartments soon. However all 3000 of those being built on the other side of the quarter are all presold but sadly it's all Chinese and Russian money. Suspect it's being laundered or squirrelled away by dubious characters from either country.

Brian,

We've had experience of both Chinese & Russian money here in Crete, and investors from both countries have had cashflow problems leaving the actual local constructors bereft of funds and unable to continue the development for several years until someone else steps in with cash. The Russian model is to sell off plan and to develop in several different countries simultaneously. Thus the money raised from pre-sales in one country was funding the development in another country. This is fine except that all the countries' developments are dependent upon financial stability in the other countries. If one has problems, it results in massive cashflow problems in the others too, the Russian investor's bankers pull their horns in, and all of a sudden everyone is left high and dry! Some one else will eventually take over the investment, in one case that took three years.

One massive Chinese development never got built. When the problems arose they merely said that if Greece built it, they would happily still manage it. If Greece had been able to build it, would they have involved China in the first place? Hopefully the developments near you will have no such problems.

Maurice

Brian,

We've had experience of both Chinese & Russian money here in Crete, and investors from both countries have had cashflow problems leaving the actual local constructors bereft of funds and unable to continue the development for several years until someone else steps in with cash. The Russian model is to sell off plan and to develop in several different countries simultaneously. Thus the money raised from pre-sales in one country was funding the development in another country. This is fine except that all the countries' developments are dependent upon financial stability in the other countries. If one has problems, it results in massive cashflow problems in the others too, the Russian investor's bankers pull their horns in, and all of a sudden everyone is left high and dry! Some one else will eventually take over the investment, in one case that took three years.

One massive Chinese development never got built. When the problems arose they merely said that if Greece built it, they would happily still manage it. If Greece had been able to build it, would they have involved China in the first place? Hopefully the developments near you will have no such problems.

Maurice
Just a big pyramid scheme really!

Quite - no one has the money to fund all the developments at once, and I'm not particularly criticising these countries as I'm sure it happens everywhere. Just a shock for those doing the real work. Just glad that I'm retired! :)

Maurice

Quite - no one has the money to fund all the developments at once, and I'm not particularly criticising these countries as I'm sure it happens everywhere. Just a shock for those doing the real work. Just glad that I'm retired! :)

Maurice
Ditto!

83CF0CF2-7297-4E46-96CD-21B07FC57E1D.jpeg 1732529E-3403-4966-8704-D5F725DD6494.jpeg And finally as I wandered around I went by a City Council regeneration project and took the chance of an open door to pinch a pic of the staircase tiling!

You can't win - create a rumpus and it will mysteriously go up in flames one night. Just a reflection on what a state most cities have got into nowadays.

Maurice

Hi Guys
Dont forget if anybody remembers that many years ago there was a YMCA for single men more or less across the road from the Gothic and it covered the corner and aboth claytons music shop , thats why i think they moved out because of the down and out of druggs and trouble within them above the police was regular visiteors there and it wasb taken over by a one time organised housing associationby the name of shape whom own houses all over birmingham they was at the bottom of bradford street plus i do not know whether or not as i left brum years ago across from there as well was the sally army hostil had new build for the accomodation whether its still there i do not know and giving the vast number of homeless familys and homeless people it could be an accomdation building regarding if its a listed building after all it does not mean they will demolish it does it really i cannot see it being turned into a hotel and may i had guys just look at the kingedward pub lichfield road we was toldits a listed building but they demoed that plus the fact other listed building have been bulldozed down before now and on the subject i can recall that pub from the fifties and i remember it closed down for a while and then there was an asian family took it over and painted it a deeper pink it was horrible and the regulars stopped using it and closed down for years and it was painted from the top of the building down to the low ground obvisiouly some was painted in white three parts down to make it pleasant enough

thanks brian..really hope this building at no 190 gt hampton row will survive the crushers as it used to be a pub...had a quick look at the plans and i cant see it ear marked for demo...lyn

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.489...4!1s64_JHx3DGMaRpPdpZASf4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I think 192 next door is the limit of the site and the demolition. However once things get going development tends to spread. Not sure if 190 has any kind of listing. Opposite me the development has been pretty well stopped for several weeks. No one will speak to me but the rumour is everyone is just about off site due to discovery of more asbestos within the old factory offices. I could have told them but hey they knew better!

PS can’t see anything wrong with the planning app. Not sure who they will get to stay in a boutique hotel without car parking though!

hi brian..you would think they would have known that with buildings of that age asbestos could still be lurking....re 190 gt hampton row i could be wrong but i think its georgian so could be listed but i do not know for certain...if you get close up to it as i have done you can just see bits of the dark green pub tiles behind the nightingale signage and i have been told that the name of the pub is still intact behind it but again no proof...must keep an eye on this one now..ps agree with you about not having a car park

lyn

Last edited:
hi brian..you would think they would have known that with buildings of that age asbestos could still be lurking....re 190 gt hampton row i could be wrong but i think its georgian so could be listed but i do not know for certain...if you get close up to it as i have done you can just see bits of the dark green pub tiles behind the nightingale signage and i have been told that the name of the pub is still intact but again no proof...must keep an eye on this one now..ps agree with you about not having a car park

lyn
I’ll go take a close look at 190 next week. They have removed one lot of asbestos early on as I joked with site manager that they wrapped the building and the contractors wore hazchem suits and masks as I watched from my balcony opposite!

ok thanks brian i cant get down at the moment but i do have photos on file that i have taken of nightingales in the past...got some funny looks from the owners as well...you are lucky to have a good vantage point...the whole of that area is certainly changing now..

lyn

carol so am i surprised..i wonder what the name of the factory was and exactly when did it become the gothic??...more research:rolleyes:...i have an old pub token for this pub..oh is that man we see meant to be talking about the renovations as i cant see anything to click on for sound?

lyn

carol so am i surprised..i wonder what the name of the factory was and exactly when did it become the gothic??...more research:rolleyes:...i have an old pub token for this pub..oh is that man we see meant to be talking about the renovations as i cant see anything to click on for sound?

lyn
Its through facebook Lyn so thats probably why it wont do anything. I just wanted to show a picture of the company doing the work.

Back