• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

this is great having someone with a birds eye view brian...the job is yours:D

lyn

just emailed the planning dept got the usual automated reply confirming my email and saying they will reply to me asap..will let you know if i get any response

lyn

Last edited:
just received this reply folks...i think this will make things a bit clearer as to what is happening right now and why and also the plans for the future..

lyn

Dear Linda

I have discussed this matter with the City Design Manager and can confirm that the site in question has recently changed hands and discussions have taken place with both Planning and Building Control over the future redevelopment of the site. In the first instance, the Council were very concerned that the grade II listed building needed to be secured and its structural integrity investigated. In response, the owner has erected scaffolding in order to secure the site and commence surveying. There are dangerous buildings to the rear and some of these are being removed. It is anticipated that an application with be forthcoming and at that point it will be made publicly available for comments. It is unlikely (due to the scale and complexity of this site) to be for a number of months yet.

Last edited:
just received this reply folks...i think this will make things a bit clearer as to what is happening right now and why and also the plans for the future..

lyn

Dear Linda

I have discussed this matter with the City Design Manager and can confirm that the site in question has recently changed hands and discussions have taken place with both Planning and Building Control over the future redevelopment of the site. In the first instance, the Council were very concerned that the grade II listed building needed to be secured and its structural integrity investigated. In response, the owner has erected scaffolding in order to secure the site and commence surveying. There are dangerous buildings to the rear and some of these are being removed. It is anticipated that an application with be forthcoming and at that point it will be made publicly available for comments. It is unli
I GOT THIS TODAY AS WELL.

Attachments

• 1.Reply..jpg
    1.Reply..jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 20
yes jan will follow this with interest now especially as it concerns my neck o the woods...i know what they mean though about there being dangerous buildings at the back of the gothic..to be honest on the gothic side there are a few along gt hampton st and constitution hill that are now looking dodgy...it would be wonderful if they all could be refurbished before its to late..

lyn

yes jan will follow this with interest now especially as it concerns my neck o the woods...i know what they mean though about there being dangerous buildings at the back of the gothic..to be honest on the gothic side there are a few along gt hampton st and constitution hill that are now looking dodgy...it would be wonderful if they all could be refurbished before its to late..

lyn
A lot happier now we have that update!

same here brian...at least we know that everything is above board...be interesting to follow developments now

lyn

Well done BHF members, and glad you're keeping your beady (no disrespect intended) eyes on them! :)

Maurice.

Just one thing. I would hope that the council did check beforehand to ensure that there were no significant original features there that could be destroyed in the clearout. Probably no features, but do think this should always be checked, and if it wasn't this time then presumably wouldn't be on another occasion, when something might be lost

Nothing much left inside when I managed a sneaky look. Everything was either removed or stolen many years ago I think.

lyn
Buildings around here certainly dangerous as one of the old factories on Hockley Street suffered a minor collapse earlier today. See evening mail for details.

all quiet on the western front today...one taken from the gt hampton st side the other from gt hampton row side

lyn

Attachments

• JQ AND HOCKLEY 009.JPG
    JQ AND HOCKLEY 009.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 19
  • JQ AND HOCKLEY 015.JPG
    JQ AND HOCKLEY 015.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 19
all quiet on the western front today...one taken from the gt hampton st side the other from gt hampton row side

lyn
Was talking to the site manager yesterday and hopefully I will get a good look round inside soon. He was saying the roof is very close to collapse so they concentrating on doing what they can quickly in that area first.

Despite having lived here for 12 years and with all the recent visits to the Gothic I noticed something new! Above the building next to the Gothic which was latterly Carols Cafe is some old “ghost sign” lettering. Really badly faded now but when I walked past yesterday evening I think I made out the word Gilders which is really ironic as the new development opposite me a little further up the Street is to be called Gilders Yard!
Gilders Yard development is another Blackswan Properties project.

Gilders Yard development is another Blackswan Properties project.
It is indeed and as opposite me I had a fair bit of input into the planning stage and as far as it goes the end result should be ok. They are saving the bit worth saving and much better to have a development than a derelict factory which could have stayed that way for years. Still wondering when something will kick off on the empty plot next to St Paul's Metro stop.

Back