• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Name this Ex Pub, which as been disgracefuly painted pink:redface:
Not you astoness, I know you know!
Lost photo replaced
ex gothic 2008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just looked this out. this is what it should look like. Whats the matter with the planning and zoning people? They can hardly claim it blends in with the locality.

Phil

Attachments

• Hockley Great Hampton St   Gothic.jpg
    Hockley Great Hampton St Gothic.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 13
Frothy where exactly is it located?. Pete don't reconise it and he's delivered to most in his time as a drayman. Jean.

I think it is now a Chinese restaurant like so many others. I worked from Hampton St and the area is sad to see now compared to what it was :(

hi all its a grade 2 listed building and now some sort of warehouse...spent many an hour in there..its obscene what they have done to it..disgraceful:(

astoness

Judy

I have no doubt that permission was not even applied for.

"A listed building may not be demolished, extended or altered without special permission from the local planning authority"

I would have thought that a drastic change to the colour scheme such as this amounted to an "alteration"

What annoys me more than the fact that vandalism was allowed to happen is the fact I have no doubt that Council Officals and denizens of the planning office pass it daily.

Phil

I agree Phil.
The following is from https://www.iwight.com/living_here/planning/images/ListedBuildings.pdf

Any works to a Listed Building which affect its character require Listed Building Consent and PERSONS WHO PERMIT UNAUTHORISED WORKS MAY BE SUBJECT TO PROSECUTION. In practice this will mean that consent should be obtained for any works of alteration to the INTERIOR or EXTERIOR of the fabric of the building, and includes features such as stairways, fireplaces, doors, windows etc, even if these are not considered to substantially affect the character or historical significance of the building. In some cases original garden walls, gates, porches, balconies, verandas and ancillary buildings are of great importance, and even the colour of external paintwork can affect the character of a building.
It is very easy to spoil the character of a Listed Building by inappropriate alterations even of a minor nature or by the use of unsympathetic materials. Advice can be obtained from the Local Planning Authority, and there are also useful guidance notes available from organisations such as the Georgian Society, Victorian Society and The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.

Below is recent advice from Chichester city council, from where I originally come, and where a neighbour of my mothers 40 years ago was stopped from painting her house a siimilar colour to that of the ex-pub discussed here:

Painting
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Changing the colour of the paint used on your listed building needs listed building consent, this includes any joinery (see [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]painted joinery[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]). Paints and how they were made have changed over time and some of the modern paints and dyes now use chemicals to produce colours which would not have been available historically. Please be aware that if something is labelled as "Heritage Paint" this does not guarantee its acceptability as an exterior paint, many of these colours have been copied from internal walls. The traditional way of colouring the exterior of the house was by mixing natural dyes, such as bulls blood, with lime wash or lime render, this tended to produce a slightly more muted colour rather than the brighter more strident colours available today. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]The painting of any previously unpainted exterior surfaces, brick or stone work for example, is not normally encouraged. Not only could this result in an inappropriate visual change it could also lead to damage to walling materials.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]But the final decision is usually up to the council, as is made clear on the english heritage website.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Mike. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Mikejee

Thanks for the info, I thought I was right in saying a change of exterior paintwork constituted an alteration.

dib44

I think you are thinking of H.B.Sales old factory at the bottom of Constitution Hill. It was originally built as a memorial to Lord Roberts of Kandahar, and was later turned over to factory use, later still it became a Chinese Restaurant The Red Palace and I believe it is now a Syrian Restaurant complete with belly dancers.

Apart from a little attack with the pink paint pot, I think the greatest act of vandalism here was when they added a floor at a later date. Well it looks as if they did.

Phil

Attachments

• H.B.Sale Constitution Hill .jpg
    H.B.Sale Constitution Hill .jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2
The Gothic - Constitution Hill

Seems to be closed now,I worked locally,as did my family,this place was well known years ago.
A classic building,but the pink certainly does it no favours.

Attachments

• gothic.JPG
    gothic.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 6
For a very short time in the late 1960's there was live jazz at The Gothic. Having said that, there was live jazz at most city-centre Brum pubs in those far-off, golden days...

Big Gee

Forgot to mention my Uncle who sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago used to help run the celtic supporters club held upstairs he himself ran a few pubs in his time the Malbrough in small health the cabin in sheldon and the park hotel in smethwick his name was Gerry Hughes

We used to live in Kenyon st just over the road from The Gothic it was allways busy in the 50s & 60s,a lot of the Cannings and Lucas workers gave it a good lunchtime and early evening trade.Sad to see such afine building painted pink

the gothic pub..taken i would think in the late 40s early 50s..it has been closed for some years now...i spent many a happy hour in there back in the day

img428.jpg

Back in the sixties there was regular jazz at The Gothic, and I went a couple of times. In Lyn's photo you can just see The Lord Clifden down the road, another great pub which is very much alive and kicking.

Big Gee

If I remember correctly the Gothic was on the corner of Gt Hampton St and Gt Hampton Row across from Cannings where I used to work when I was a Teenager.
There used to be a coffee shop next to it that people from Cannings used a lot and further along was a Chemist but the name escapes me. I remember some of the guys used to sit on the window sills of the Gothic at lunch time to have there lunch which they bought at the coffee shop.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Thats a very comprehensive history of the pub and its links.! We've often discussed this pub on other threads but it's useful for viewers to be able to find the detailed history on its own specific thread. Thank you for starting it. Viv.

Back