• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

carolina

master brummie
There is guy on Facebook called Keith Jager whose gt gt grandfather came from Austria and had the pub when it was originally called The Gothic Stores - he may have some interesting stuff for you.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up. Try Andrew Madam on Facebook he might be able to help with old photos.
Plans are online so no probs with that.
Neon sign could cause some debate.
Biggest concern is contractors in administration!

hi brian just a slight correction...its andrew maxam not madam...all the best

lyn

Now here's the interesting bit. In the early days of the Gothic, the corner bit had some signage. We can make out the word "beer" but not the other words. What the client wants is to potentially create a nice neon sign saying "The Gothic" to pay tribute to that historical bit.

If anyone would like to help me out and figure out what the old signs actually said (perhaps find better photos or someone who may know?) - be my guest :)

Great Hampton Street - Gothic Inn Good Honest Beer.jpg

Being as one can obtain a 250 year lease for an apartment in The Gothic for only £409,000 plus annual service fee, I am considering moving to a location where it is still a bit edgy, oh sorry, I am supposed to say trendy.

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Blimey, that's the sort of prices we have in London!
hi sparks even though it looks like a great job is being done on the gothic and nearby buildings the whole area would need a lot doing to it before i would even consider paying that much for an apartment in that area hopefully in the next 10 years or so it may look different around there...all very well tarting up the main drag of gt hampton st but you want to see what the surrounding back streets look like..not good although some improvements of certain buildings is going on at the min

lyn

Last edited:
hi sparks even though it looks like a great job is being done on the gothic and nearby buildings the whole area would need a lot doing to it before i would even consider paying that much for an apartment in that area hopefully in the next 10 years or so it may look different around there...all very well tarting up the main drag of gt hampton st but you want to see what the surrounding back streets look like..not good although some improvements of certain buildings is going on at the min

lyn
I would concur with this, except I would not be so diplomatic!

superdad3

master brummie
Latest design artwork for Gothic rebuild. View attachment 144944
Wow! What a brilliant "picture" - hope it really does look like this on completion - another piece of heritage saved. The building next door was originally involved in the jewelry trade and later [about 1963?]The Marmoset Nightclub. The building features on the Urban Exploration site and shows much interior detail albeit in a terrible state. Suggested that it was called the Gothic Works. Can be seen at:
www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/the-gothic-works-jewellers-marmoset-nightclub-birmingham.91268/