• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

THE GOOD FIGHT

K

Kate

I wrote this on 12 October 2002 after the Bali bombing in October 2002

Please do not think this has anything to do with religion or who believes what. It is more about good versus evil.

Tread Softly

Tread softly, beast
Our mighty armies come
Tread softly, beast
your reign on earth is done.

Tread softly, beast
as to the depths you fly
Tread softly, beast
Stay, hear our battle cry!

Tread softly, beast
The innocent arise
Tread softly, beast
The brave ride at their side

Tread softly, beast
into the Pit descend
Tread softly, beast
our Quest will never end.

For all the innocent people who have died because of greed, evil and hatred.

Tremendous Kate, I love this sort of poetry. I missed this one somehow?

I missed it too

And very apt that its been spotted after the showing of the 9/11 documentary of the Pennsylvania plane. For those who didnt see this documentary last night....it contained telephone calls to families of the passengers aboard the plane and based on this information and information from cockpit recordings they composed a story on how the passengers of the plane overcome the terrorists...........ths poem is SO apt for what happened, even though it was written for Bali

Well done K8 - great insight

My poem could be adapted to fit the current situation in the UK - but let's not forget that the perpetrators cannot be defined by their race/religion - evil is evil - no matter your creed or colour or where you live. Evil is not always clear cut - some innocents will always be easily and enthusiastically seduced into the path of wrongness, sadly. We can turn against each other or turn against our neighbours. Equally, the powerful can be party to the evil and by their very strength perpetuate the circle of evil. Typing this I tried to find alternative words to the word "evil" but there aren't many (and none that rhyme I don't think). I repeat - evil is evil is evil ...

Wise words K8

Oh to get back to a time when we see beyond 'groups' and focus on the 'evil' people in this world - no matter what race creed or colour

Travelling to my mothers 4th Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! party on Saturday ::) we got into a discussion about the precautions taken at the airports recently in light of the threats.................

My friend ( a very traditional muslem girl) and her family were travelling 'in house' to Disneyland..................just as the plane was about to leave the ground, so the emergency brakes were applied and everyone was taken back to the airport and off the plane.................without exception the passengers all looked at her and her family as they exited the plane, the children felt very frightened.................to find out that the plane had been recalled due to something flying out of the engine during take off!

My father in law likened this story to a similar experience he had following the Tavern in the Town IRA bombing..................many people not speaking or wanting to work with completely innocent Irish people.......because of the 'evil'  actions of the minority......................the creed/race/religion will suffer :(

I love this poem - well worth multiple viewings ( as are Oisins ^-^)

Thanks for the poem Kate...I missed it too. We need such words to help us understand
what evil is. especially in these recent days. Ssssh I hear the silence in Lebanon perhaps the beast of war will go away for a while but I wish it was for good.

Suebee you have put my thoughts into words very well and I remember after 9/11 that a couple of Muslim young men were jumping up and down and cheering in a Melbourne street and were looked on with great suspicion, if not hatred. The real truth was it was right near a maternity hospital and one of the men had just become a father.

Writen with deep feeling and overwhelming emotion.

Robert

Back