• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Good Earth restaurant Newhall Street

Lemonella

master brummie
When I worked in Newhall Street in the early 70s, a 'health food' restaurant opened up over the road called The Good Earth. It was the first time I ever ate coleslaw. It was considered a health food then! Does anyone remember the restaurant? I can't find anything about it when I google, I don't think it stayed open long.

There is an article about the founder of Prana Health foods in 1966, being a chap named George Justicz. An oarsman of some fame.

It is listed in Kellys directories at 89 Newhall St in 1967 till the last directory in 1973

When I worked in Newhall Street in the early 70s, a 'health food' restaurant opened up over the road called The Good Earth. It was the first time I ever ate coleslaw. It was considered a health food then! Does anyone remember the restaurant? I can't find anything about it when I google, I don't think it stayed open long.

Hi Lemonella, I clearly remember it I worked in the telephone exchange on the opposite corner , I bought a fresh roll and coleslaw there many a lunch time it was delicious.:)
Wendy

Hi Mike,

I haven't been down there for many years. I take it that building is Canterbury House
and the turn off is Lionel Street. It looks as if you can't drive straight down Newhall Street
any more.
There was a tobacconists there when I worked at Beaufort House no98, opposite from
1960 to 1964. My monthly treat when we were paid was to go to the tobacconists - I think
it was Withers then, for a packet of Lucky Strike.
Happy Days?

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Lemonella, I clearly remember it I worked in the telephone exchange on the opposite corner , I bought a fresh roll and coleslaw there many a lunch time it was delicious.:)
Wendy
Hi Wendy
Yes, the rolls and coleslaw were delicious - I can still see and taste them now - talking of great food, do you remember the pub that used to serve sandwiches that you could choose fillings for and their home made bread pudding?
Lemonella

Hi Wendy
Yes, the rolls and coleslaw were delicious - I can still see and taste them now - talking of great food, do you remember the pub that used to serve sandwiches that you could choose fillings for and their home made bread pudding?
Lemonella

Sorry i don't remember the pub Lemonella but I bet the bread pud was lovely. I have lived in Australia for 36 years but still make bread pudding occasionally :yum Wendy

Hi

There used to be a pub further down Newhall St, - I think it was the Queens Arms.
There was also the Shakespeare on the corner of Lionel St and Summer Row.
I remember getting food from there at lunchtime.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi

There used to be a pub further down Newhall St, - I think it was the Queens Arms.
There was also the Shakespeare on the corner of Lionel St and Summer Row.
I remember getting food from there at lunchtime.

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave
I remember the pub being on a corner, so it must have been the Shakespeare. We used to go to the other pub sometimes for a ploughmans and the small cottage loaf that came with it was lovely.

Hi Dave
I remember the pub being on a corner, so it must have been the Shakespeare. We used to go to the other pub sometimes for a ploughmans and the small cottage loaf that came with it was lovely.

Hi,

The Queens Arms was/is? also on the corner of Charlotte St and Newhall St, - a lovely ornate old pub

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

The Queens Arms was/is? also on the corner of Charlotte St and Newhall St, - a lovely ornate old pub

Kind regards
Dave
That must have been my pub for the sandwiches and bread pudding - it wasn't far away from where I worked and was a very ornate old fashioned place. Thanks for that Dave.

I remember. The Good. Earth as I also worked on the opposite corner at the telephone place on the ground floor. The food was lovely and considered quite a novelty. The Baked potato with sausage and coleslaw was about 1/6d and the soup was 9d if I remember right.

Back