• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Golden Lion, Clifton Road, Aston

N

Nephrititi

Does anyone have any info/pictures of The Golden Lion, Clifton Road, Aston.

My Great Grandparents used to run that pub and my grandfather lodged next door when he met my grandmother before he married her.

Regards
Fay

I wonder if there is anyone who could help me with this please? I am trying to find the name of a pub/pubs this couple ran in Birmingham. I know they were not publicans at the 1911 census so it will probably be somewhat after that. Lizzie was born Emma Elizabeth Batson in 1872 and at the moment I don't know when she or Edward died but I'm assuming they ceased being publicans in the late 30s/early 40s.

They had been living in Aston Manor and all my 80 year old mother can remember is that she had "something to do" with the HP sauce factory. So perhaps the pub was near there? However as a child she also remembers visiting family in Sparkhill so there is another possibility too.

My cousin and I are doing some in depth reearch into another family member, Lionel Alfred Wharrad. He was mainly based around Redditch/Studley and was a springmaker cum inventor. If anyone has any little snippets about him I would be really grateful too.

Hi
The electoral rolls for 1935 - 1939 have an Emma Elizabeth & Edward Robinson at the Golden Lion, 43 Clifton Rd, Aston.

Suzanne

Kellys directory shows him still there in 1944 (but not in 1946 or 1933). The pub was on the corner of upper thomas St as shown in the map in red.

mapc1913showinggoldenLion.jpg

Thanks for that. It seems it may have been demolished around 1968 from what I can see. Someone actaully comments on a photo on one of the threads but I can't see it anywhere. Never mind, I shall keep looking....

Thank you all.

Talking of pubs, i have a missing link in my search. I am trying to locate the whereabouts of Samuel Charles Walker who was at the Black Lion Smallbrook Street on the 1911 census, still there 15th Oct 1927 to 14th Oct 1928 only now with wife Rosina. Was there till 30th April 1929. Disappears, then turns up at the Malt Shovel Stonebridge Island Oct 1932. My dilemma, i cannot find them between April 1929 to Oct 1932, can anyone give me any pointers?. Have searched electoral registers for the area no luck. They can't just disappear!.

My cousin and I are doing some in depth reearch into another family member, Lionel Alfred Wharrad. He was mainly based around Redditch/Studley and was a springmaker cum inventor. If anyone has any little snippets about him I would be really grateful too.[/QUOTE]

i have the wharrad family tree on paper - do you need any info off that? or do you have it?

Deborah

Back