• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Golden Eagle, Hill Street

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
This is only the second photograph I have found, taken around 1984.

index.php

Can't contain myself, this is the photograph I have been searching for for years!
The car parked outside is a Ford Capri Mk 1, so it dates it around 1972/3.

13174128_975720505868632_3572069587961419220_n.jpg

I really am overjoyed at finding this photograph but I have to admit thinking what the character in the window is doing.

hi barr beacon i know only too well the feeling you must have had finding this photo..been there myself a few times and i always say..."they are out there somewhere" if you are prepared to look and keep on looking..they wont come to you... thanks for sharing it with us great result

lyn

The two photos really show the pub at its best. Not only is it's music history interesting, but the architecture is too.

For those who haven't seen this, a little intro to the pub and its importance on the music scene. Pity some Photobucket images are missing, but still worth a look. Viv.

https://www.birminghammusicarchive.com/golden-eagle/

NB have merged threads on the same subject.

I looked up the Spencer Davis Group and found that Steve Winwood was the lead singer, I think they played in the Golden Eagle? I don't know how many Golden Eagle's there are in Birmingham, would this be the pub?

I expect it was the pub on this Hill Street thread Kat. Maybe someone can confirm. Viv.

Great, thanks Viv, I hope so, it would be nice to know, I didn't realise Steve Winwood was from Birmingham, I wonder if he misses Brum?

Well at the very least, I’m sure he’ll remember his roots as it launched him into his musical career. Those early years must have made a big impression. Birmingham would have been buzzing (musically) at the time - possibly on a par with London and Liverpool. Well I like to think so ! There was no shortage of places to go and hear live music of all types. Viv.

It was a devil if you were caught short for the boys room though, you had to go down about two or three flights of stairs of that spiral staircase

I'm sure most Brummie's are aware of this but there is actually a small part of the Golden Eagle still visible - I have no idea why but these couple of black 'Marble' panels that were a feature of the Pub build remain on Hill Street to this day - 132100

I'm new to this forum so I hope I get things done correctly.
This is a photograph I took for Mike Horseman of Shoop Shoop in the late 1970s. Its Mike ate the window in the (swirling) upstairs room used for gigs and of course, the Shoop Shoop disco on Thursday evenings. The photo was for a promo poster for Shoop. I took a number of photograph both Innside and out on various occasions.
Photo's off the web so rights to whoever owns them............. Looks very Glam here!
View attachment 132103

I wonder if this is where the pub's name originated. See last paragraph. Viv.
Screenshot_20230716_142119_Chrome.jpgSources: British Newspaper Archive

Back