• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Golden Cup Hockley

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi everyone:)I am reading Kathleen Dayus omnibus (AGAIN):) we all know she mentions the George and Dragon pub but she said her dad's local was the Golden Cup..i would have thought the George was the closest pub to Camden Drive..does anyone know where the Golden Cup was...Thanks
Maggie

Maggie
The 1912 directory tries to confuse the issue by saying that it (no 37), is on the north side of Camden St, except they have their north and south mixed up. As can be seen from the 1888 map, it is almost opposite the end of what was then called Tyndall st, which was later changed to Sloane St
mike

map_c_1889_showing_golden_cup_camden_st.jpg

Does anyone know if there are any photos of this pub in existance ? I have tried a google search without success.

Would be great if there was as William portlock and his family ran this in the 1800's

Does anyone know if there are any photos of this pub in existance ? I have tried a google search without success.
William portlock ran the golden cup pub, 37 Camden St, Birmingham in 1881 would be great if anyone has a pic

Maggie
The 1912 directory tries to confuse the issue by saying that it (no 37), is on the north side of Camden St, except they have their north and south mixed up. As can be seen from the 1888 map, it is almost opposite the end of what was then called Tyndall st, which was later changed to Sloane St
mike

Interestingly 37 Camden St is listed on the 1881 census as the golden cup address for a relative so seems there is confusion

Maggie
mi

Maggie
mike

Can you please tell me the source of this street map? Thanks.

The map was originally from the old maps site, which is no longer extant, but may be accessed on the national library of Scotland site

Yes, it links to National Library of Scotland. You can buy paper maps by mail, or digital downloads, from various years.

Back