• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Golden Arrow

oldsheldonian

proper brummie kid
I wonder if anyone remembers parades which included famous record breaking vehicles such as the Golden Arrow and Bluebird (on lorries) going along the Coventry Road? These must have taken place sometime between 1946 and 1952. I left Brum in 1953.
I lived at 2158 Coventry Road and can clearly remember seeing the cars but have no idea when, how often or even who organised the parades. I have a feeling that the Rover gas turbine car was supposed to take part but can't say for certain. This might suggest that the Rover Factory may have had some involvement. If the gas turbine was involved it suggests the very early 1950's

I am puzzled by the thread title. Bluebird as a racing car I know about but Golden Arrow means two things to me. Firstly a luxury train that ran from London (Victoria) to Paris (Gare du Nord) and back via Dover/Calais using the cross channel ferry. It is also a name used by a large bus company in South Africa.
Anyway I await someone replying who is able to shed light on the other car? called Golden Arrow. :)

Hi Radiorails . Bluebird and Golden Arrow were both Speed Record Breaking cars .

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...9dQXVGJ0eKRX-uHHrK-6Og&bvm=bv.136593572,d.d2s

18s14krwcolf6jpg.jpg

https://jalopnik.com/348557/1929-land-speed-record-setter-irving-napier-golden-arrow

An extract from this link mentions both cars:-

Okay, let's be honest, we only brought up the subject of Sir Henry Segrave's Sunbeam 1000 and his push through the 200 mph barrier in 1927 so we could tell you about this car. After Segrave made his record-setting run, the competition predictably responded, though not for nearly a year. In February 1928, the dastardly Malcolm Campbell retook the title at 206.95 mph in his Blue-Bird. The following April saw an American, Ray Keech, best Campbell at 207.55 mph. Noteworthy advancement, but Segrave was developing a car to blow those records away.

Thank you s/Tony for that information, most interesting. I never heard of that car before but I did have a toy model of Bluebird as a child as I am sure many others on here did. Surprisingly Google search did not refer me to any cars but that's the way is is sometimes. :eek:
I used to follow car racing some years ago, that was before you always had a good idea who would win but I do watch the touring car races from time to time. Having had many cars since 1957 I must admit that none were racing or sports cars. Even so I have, in younger and less crowded road days, from time to time pushed them beyond the speed that was recommended. I got my speed thrills driving fire engines. :D

I recall seeing John Cobb's Napier-Railton Special that he broke the world land speed record in, just after WW2. It was, for a while, in the old Birmingham Transport Museum

I have been fortunate to drive many cars, and in various places around the world, but one of the best was in 1970, during a drum clinic tour of South Africa.
I was taken by some rich South African guy to the Formula One Kyalami circuit, just outside Johannesburg.

I was let loose in a 'souped up' Porche, and I had a great time racing around the circuit. At that time the Formula One programme was banned from South Africa, but it is now used for the South African Grand Prix.
Eddie.

Back