• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THE GOLDEN ARROW OLTON

johnedward

master brummie
CAN YOU REMEMBER THE GOLDEN ARROW THE GUVNOR LES FOULKES I THINK ALWAYS IN A DINNER SUIT AND HAROLD THE MAN ON THE PIANO ON A SUNDAY. I CAN REMEMBER ONE BARMAN PETER HE WAS THE MANAGER OF A BURTONS MENS SHOP IN SOLIHULL ALWAYS A GENT.THE PUB CRAWL WAS THEN TO THE DOLPHIN , RED LION , OVER TO THE NEW INN. FISH AND CHIPS AND CHANGE FROM A COUPLE OF POUND .A PINT THEN WAS ABOUT HALF A CROWN TWELVE AND A HALF PENCE MILD WAS EVEN CHEAPER.
HAPPY TEENAGE DAYS
JOHN EDWARD

John alas all those pubs you mentioned have gone, with the exception of the New Inns. witch is now called The Inn On The Green after several other name changes ie Beagles, Llyods,plus a few others. The Arrow was demolished 2 years ago flats now stand on the site. The Dolphin was knocked down quite afew years back to be replaced by an Aldi supermarket. The same fate faced the Red Lion. They did incorporate a new pub on that site named the Trader then re named The Red Lion! no compariosn.btw did you ever use the Olton Legion.

HI ROBERT
THANKS FOR THAT ALTHOUGH I LIVE IN SWANSEA NOW I DID KNOW ABOUT THE DOLPHIN BUT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHERS YES I DID GO TO THE BRITISH LEGION
REGARDS JOHN

hi.
i see by your posts you used to drink in the dolphin inn.
I'm trying to trace an uncle ( William McGrath) who used to live there in the early 70's.
Ive found out a woman called Freda Mary cocks ( former mayor ) used to work there in the early 70's
Ive also found an address of a Freda cocks ( same one maybe ? ) in harborne.
any info would be most apprecited.

William. Freda Cox was in deed Lord Mayor. I am sure if contact the city council they will provide you with some information.

In the 1969 Birmingham Yearbook, Freda Mary Cocks , gives her address as The Dolphin, Warwick Rd. O0

The Dolphin O0

Attachments

• Acocks Green Dolphin (new)Warwick Rd Acocks Green.jpg
    Acocks Green Dolphin (new)Warwick Rd Acocks Green.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 16
red lion O0

Attachments

• Acocks Green The Red Lion.jpg
    Acocks Green The Red Lion.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 10
HI POSTIE
THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS HOW I REMEMBER SITTING ON THE WALL OF THE DOLPHIN AWAITING THE
44 BUS TO GO TO TOWN I LIVED ACROSS THE ROAD IN WOODCOCK LANE AND THE PICTURE OF THE RED LION COULD WELL HAVE BEEN AROUND THE TIME OF MY FIRST JOB AT DAW'S THE FISHMONGERS A LITTLE FURTHER DOWN ON THE SAME SIDE THE YEAR I AM THINKING OF IS 1962 /1963. I CAN SEE THE MORRIS 1000 IS THE OTHER CAR A HILLMAN MINX ????
JOHN

Went in the Golden Lion a few times in the mid 80s,really had no atmosphere.
One of the things you notice about the Warwick road from Acocks to Solihull is the lack of pubs.Now the Lion is gone there's no pub now between the Trader/Red Lion in Sainsbury's car park and the Barley Mow Solihull.Must be 3-4 miles,and on a busy road is unusual.

there is the witherspoons, spread eagle, by what used to be the co-op, next door to what used to be the boundary club is casey-joes so there are a couple of pubs you may have missed out. Casey Joes has some links to the former Boundary club thinks its the daughters, seem to remeber something about it on other links on here

there is the witherspoons, spread eagle, by what used to be the co-op, next door to what used to be the boundary club is casey-joes so there are a couple of pubs you may have missed out. Casey Joes has some links to the former Boundary club thinks its the daughters, seem to remeber something about it on other links on here

Yes of course,Witherspoons is opposite sainsburys,and that Casey Jones looks quite newish.The Boundary,had a good few nights in there back in the mid 80s,now Zorba's resturant.
The Boundary was always one of those places where there was plenty of trouble,but you never really noticed it.The old manager was so quick on his feet he'd have wrestled a troublemaker out the door even before he'd noticed it;)

I spent many a night in the Golden Arrow in the 80's. Loved the place. Our 'friends circle' kept on growing and growing and we took up most of the top half of the pub, then we spilled out into the middle. Had a few arguments with my fella at the time in there too usually over his flirting behaviour lol. I can't think of the gaffer's name at the moment but he was small but very feisty, could handle himself ok. The name Mick keeps popping into my head now. We used to always play pool on table 1, there was 2 there. We would ask the bar staff to put our initials on the board lol, 50p a game. Once one of our friends got his hand stuck in one of the pockets and the fire brigade had to be called out to release him. Also remember playing 'brag' with matches that were bought with money cus we wasn't allowed to gamble inside. Those were the days.
Sometimes we used to go to the Boundary afterwards for more drinking, i was young back then.
Also, the Dolphin was a regular haunt.
All the good pubs are being knocked down....it's a shame.
On my hen night we started at Beagles, then the trader, then the dolphin, then the golden arrow then on to Solihull.
Some years later i worked at the trader for a short while, before that i worked at the great western, which i loved. Fred & June ran it back then. They used to always sit in the snug with the coppers from the station opposite.
I am trying to see if i recognise any names on this thread... hmmm.
One name stands out from the golden arrow days, Ian Wallace, is he on here? lol well, you never know.

Nice sharing memories with you all. ;)
Tina

Having just joined this website i was curious about the Golden Arrow and even if this thread is old i thought i'd like to comment on.

The gaffer at the Golden Arrow i believe in late 60's early 70's was a man called Fewkes not Foulkes? He also owned property locally, i had the displeasure to rent one while working at the 'Arrow' - even if not all fond memories of the man himself, the nights i spent working were enjoyable ... anyone remember the bloke with the flat feet and the sheepskin jacket he always wore? i wonder if he's still around!

Was the gaffer a Ray Young around 1980 and a lady called Bridget had a lot to do with pubs (Dolphin at least) around that time in Acocks Green.

A school friend of mine, George Brierley, used to walk the owners dog. It was a huge great dane, nearly as tall as us 14 year olds. Would've been around 1967.

Nodd

Back