• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Glovers Trust, Steelhouse Lane

Brummie On Exmoor

master brummie
I am tracing one of my 3xGreat Grandmothers, Elizabeth Hutchinson, who was married to Thomas Hutchinson a general or agricultural labourer, and who was born in Birmingham in 1784-85. They lived in 1 Court, 2 Brass Street off Summer Lane in 1851. I have not yet been able to locate them in 1841.

Thomas died, aged in his mid 80s, in April 1852. I now think I have found Elizabeth's death, on 24 Oct 1860, at the Glover's Trust, Steelhouse Lane. I have found plenty of references to the Trust, and it is clear that Elizabeth would be just the sort of person for the almshouses to take in. The death certificate does state that she was the widow of a Thomas Hutchinson, and the age looks right, so I am reasonably happy that the death certificate is for my ancestor.

However, I wonder if any records for the Trust survive, which might give me a little more info. I don't know Elizabeth's maiden name, and am keen to try and get back further. :stare: DOES anyone out there know if there are archives for the Trust and where they may be housed please? :stare:

There's an extracted marriage record on IGI for a
Thomas Hutchinson and Elizabeth Hunt in 02 April 1815 at Aston Juxta, Birmingham.

Suzanne

Hi,

You can try contacting-
Birmingham Archives and Heritage at Birmingham Central Library
Tel: 0121 303 4549
or Email: [email protected]

They will also have the Marriage of your Relatives on mircofiche .
The charge will be that of a photocopy - 20pence if you view this yourself.
There will be a charge for staff to search and send a copy of this to you.

The correct name for the Church is St Peters and St Pauls in Aston , Sometimes known as Aston Juxta

Bo

Many thanks to Suzanne & Bo for their kind replies.

Yes, I had spotted the possible Aston Juxta marriage, and Elizabeth was born in Birmingham, so it is a possibility. However, I am also aware that IGI does not have a record of every marriage. But I will track down the original to see if it adds anything which might confirm that it is my ancestors' marriage.

I will also check out Birmingham Archives re records of the Glovers Trust.

Thanks again.

FINAL ANSWER........

I thought I would leave a brief note about the Glover's Trust for anyone else who comes across this Posting because they are researching family members who were housed by them.

The Trust still exists although their home is now in Sutton Coldfield. There is very little about the Trust in Birmingham Archives (largely legal material about the legal side of the original Trust and it's workings). There is nothing about those who lived in the home or who may have worked for the Trust. There is nothing in the National Archives. I have also been in touch with the current Clerk to the Trustees, and although he was very sympathetic, and did a search of boxes of old documents that he had in his attic, he had nothing going back before the 1950s. The only material he had that was older was a bit on the history which I have found elsewhere, and a couple of splendid pictures of the old buildings in Steelhouse Lane, long since demolished. I am happy to scan and send these to anyone interested.

Hope this helps someone!

Jane

I also had relatives there so would be most grateful to see a pic of the place & thanks for the info

Have just seen the message from Aidan. I will endeavour to get the pics scanned on in the next few days, and post them on the site.

Jane

The following may be of interest (or not)

Glover,s Charity

Glover,s Charity dates back from January 1824 when the original Trust Deed was executed, Sarah Glover and Elizabeth Mansfield her sister Executorsof the will of Charles Glover, carried out his intentions by setting aside a portion of his estate originally for the support of an Orphan School, If no such institution was founded within a term of ten years the fund was to go to the erection of Almhouses for aged and infim widowed or maiden women "who shall in the judgment of the Trustees be Godly persons" No person shall be elected to an almhouse of less age than 45 anf must have been a resident in Birmingham or within two miles for atleast a year before such election , the paratice of the Trustees has been for many years to extend this term very considerably , The original almshouses were in Steelhouse Lane on the North sideand are now part of the General Hospital.

The Exsting almshouses are on the South side of Steelhouse Lane side of Steehouse Lane a row on each side of Eneneezer Congreragational Chapel, Those on the right of the chapel were erectedin 1853 in the lifetime of Mrs Glover those on the Left of the Chapel were erected in place of those sold about 1880 the estate which the TArustees is inan idustrial area in Deritend reduced considerably by modern sales and conversations,

among the Trutees have names notabl in Birmingham history William Chance junr,William Gammons, Samuel Glover, and later Henry Manton, j a Coper, Samuel Edwards, Sir Henry Manton the senior Trutee surviving has acted as Steward since the year 1876

source Notes on the Charities Trusts Institutions, Etc, in the city 1920

I am attempting to attach the pics I have. I have scanned them, and for some really odd reason, the files are huge. I tried to email them to someone and that failed. I will try to load them here.

Alms Houses, Steelhouse Lane 3.jpg

Alms Houses, Steelhouse Lane 2.jpg

Seem to have managed the 2 smaller ones but not the bigger one. Will have one more go...... no, still no luck. Anyway it does give an idea.

B O E

I am tracing one of my 3xGreat Grandmothers, Elizabeth Hutchinson, who was married to Thomas Hutchinson a general or agricultural labourer, and who was born in Birmingham in 1784-85. They lived in 1 Court, 2 Brass Street off Summer Lane in 1851. I have not yet been able to locate them in 1841.

Thomas died, aged in his mid 80s, in April 1852. I now think I have found Elizabeth's death, on 24 Oct 1860, at the Glover's Trust, Steelhouse Lane. I have found plenty of references to the Trust, and it is clear that Elizabeth would be just the sort of person for the almshouses to take in. The death certificate does state that she was the widow of a Thomas Hutchinson, and the age looks right, so I am reasonably happy that the death certificate is for my ancestor.
I have just come across this thread as I finally applied for the death certificates for my 3 x great grandparents, Thomas and Elizabeth Hutchinson and found the reference to Glover's Trust on her death certificate. I would be interested in sharing family notes with Brummie on Exmoor, if you would be interested. My own family descends via their son, William Hutchinson, who married Selena Homer. I am not sure how to private message on this forum, as I don't access it very often.

Rosemary

Welcome Rosemary. To message another member click on "Inbox" on the blue bar at the top of this page. You'll then be given the option to "Start a conversation" If you enter the name of the member you wish to contact, you can then write your message. Hope this helps and good luck with your research. Viv.

Back