• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Globe Clock Company

Tableman

I have just acquired a very special long case clock made by the Globe Clock Company 32 Hall Street Birmingham, I can not find any information about them or the clocks they made. The one I have is a very impressive piece standing 99 inches tall in a very well carved oak case with a shivered and bras dial striking on 8 tubular bells and stinking on a 72 inch long bell, all of the brass that the movement and dial are made from a gilded. It looks to have been made for a exhibition as it seems a bit ott in every respect.
I was wondering if any one has any information about them.
Tableman

A couple of snippets here:

I have a particular interest in time and I am looking for evidence to support a monstrous claim that our time began here in Brum. There are many strange architectural and cultural anomalies to be found in the middle of the Midlands, I can show you these and these may cast light on your question Tableman

1386 was when the clock, which still working, in Salisbury Cathedral, was made. It is said to be th oldest working clock in the world. Birmingham was fairly insignificant to the Country at that time. Like most ancient time keeping things it only rang the hours. Monasteries and churches have always given hourly times by their bells and eventually clock faces. Generally people, until things like the Industrial Revolution and travel, were not really interested in minutes. The railways, as is well known, eventually brought a common time to most advanced countries. 1884 saw Greenwich as an international time until 1972 when UTC became the norm.
Water, sand, candles and other methods have kept time over the centuries - many methods dating back to very ancient times. The sun and stars were also a way for others to know times, for the mainly agrarian population and those who sailed on seas - but not particularly precise ones, but accurate enough for their needs.

Mike’s post from the other thread concerning the Company, they have a mention in 1907 at the 45 Branson Street addres.

Back