• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Girl From Guildford Street

Good to hear from you Gina, awful to learn that you caught the virus, hope you are fully recovered. Look forward to the next book although I had left Birmingham by about 1967. But many of my family we’re still there. I must have been about 7 when I had my tonsils done

Hello Dave, it was lovely to hear from yu. This is my new book, which is dedicated to the children and staff at William Cowper, 1961 - 1968. You would probably remember many people in it!!!
Hi Gina, sorry to read on other posts that you have endured this terrible coronavirus, but thankfully you are now out the other side and on the mend. I've just ordered this book - let's see what memories this one serves up! Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gina, sorry to read on other posts that you have endured this terrible coronavirus, but thankfully you are now out the other side and on the mend. I've just ordered this book - let's see what memories this one serves up! Take care.
Hi David, when you have it you just go from day to day - you never think you might die. You will find you have a guest appearance at the end of TOGS, when Mr Sims summons Grace (me), Sandra (Steele), Philip (Hart) and David (yourself) to his office to tell them they have passed the 11 plus. I do hope you enjoy it!!!

Hi Gina
Hoping you are fully recovered from COVID 19. I was given your book recently by a friend who attended one of your talks earlier this year. I would like to say a big thank you for the memories recorded in the book, of growing up in Hockley. I lived in a 'back to back' in Paddington Street until 1963 and attended William Cowper school. Your vivid recollections of the school and in particular, certain teachers brought back a lot of memories. Thank you. Keep well and stay safe.

Hi Gina
Hoping you are fully recovered from COVID 19. I was given your book recently by a friend who attended one of your talks earlier this year. I would like to say a big thank you for the memories recorded in the book, of growing up in Hockley. I lived in a 'back to back' in Paddington Street until 1963 and attended William Cowper school. Your vivid recollections of the school and in particular, certain teachers brought back a lot of memories. Thank you. Keep well and stay safe.
What number in Paddington St? I lived 4/52...
Dave A

hi jen welcome to the forum...as dave has already asked you what number did you live at...i was born in my nans back to back at 4/12 paddington st in 1953 we stayed there until about 1959 but nan stayed put until the street was demolished..

the forum does have a thread for paddington st and a few years ago i managed to find a few photos of it just before it was demolished..click on the link below to take you to that thread

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you for those really kind remarks Jen! I remember Paddington St, as I lived at no 37 Guildford St. I loved William Cowper and my years there, and I wrote my book so dear memories could be written down. All the proceeds go to charity. Sadly I have had to stop my book talks for now, but hope to start again in October, when they will be on my new book, Tales of Guildford St, a novel of living in the Backs to Backs, proceeds also going to charity, and if you can come to a talk you will be most welcome x

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to your question Dave, we lived at 5 back of 14. A delightful elderly woman lived in the front house, used to make us apple pies & leave them by the entry. We had a back garden but no indoor toilet facilities. We shared a toilet which was in a yard, with several families!

In response to your question Dave, we lived at 5 back of 14. A delightful elderly woman lived in the front house, used to make us apple pies & leave them by the entry. We had a back garden but no indoor toilet facilities. We shared a toilet which was in a yard, with several families!
Were you Hughes?
Dave A

hi jen did you read my post no 38 because you and i were neighbours:) i lived at 4/12 in my nans house and the elderly lady at no 14 who baked the apple pies was one of my gt aunts as they both lived at no 14....

lyn

What number in Paddington St? I lived 4/52...
Dave A
hi jen did you read my post no 38 because you and i were neighbours:) i lived at 4/12 in my nans house and the elderly lady at no 14 who baked the apple pies was one of my gt aunts as they both lived at no 14....

lyn
Hi Lyn. I'm new to this forum so may miss some information. That's amazing that your great aunt baked us those delicious apple pies. We were the Walkers. Four children by the time we left in 1963. I still have my school reports from William Cowper.

hi jen dont worry about it it takes time to find your way around the forum..any probs just ask..a little tip is when you go back to a thread always read any posts from the last one you made that way you will not miss anything...as said in my post i have have posted photos of paddington st on the paddington st thread one of them shows the houses from no 8 to no 14...i also have 2 photos of myself at about age 2 looking into your back garden:) and photos showing the brewhouse and toilets we shared...jen to save us going off topic on this thread could you click on the link below which takes you to the paddington st thread and we can continue chatting on there if you like... it is rather a long thread so start reading from post 1...this is amazing

lyn

Last edited:
Hi David, when you have it you just go from day to day - you never think you might die. You will find you have a guest appearance at the end of TOGS, when Mr Sims summons Grace (me), Sandra (Steele), Philip (Hart) and David (yourself) to his office to tell them they have passed the 11 plus. I do hope you enjoy it!!!
Hi again Gina, just finished your second book which again evoked long forgotten memories of "The school", Guildford St & Lozells. Wish I had your memory!! Take care.

Back