• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The General Havelock

Malcolm
All the old buildings of Louisa road seem to have been demolished. The position of Havelock terrace can be seen on the c 1955 map below.
map c 1951 showing havelock terrace, off louisa road.jpg

Last edited:
that is the general haverlock pub and a Ansells pub and its along the Aston road north heading towards the city from Aston cross
i lived along back down to the cross and also to my grand mothers whom lived in whitehouse street on the other side of the road going backwards to the cross and strolled up there many , many times in my young days even went to st marys school back again towards the cross on the oppersite side as its been said previously the other one comes under saltly hvelock road just up the hill on haverlock road
on the left hand side of the road and thats the road with terraces in those days on haverlock road turn left at saltley gate at the lights onto washwood heath road and emediatly turn right and the gardners club is there at the bottom of the corner of haverlock road walk up that hill and thats the haverlock pub as well

Malcolm
All the old buildings of Louisa road seem to have been demolished. The position of Havelock terrace can be seen on the c 1951 map below.
View attachment 119813

Hi again Mike
Just noticed on the 1951 map you posted that Prospect Terrace is marked as Prospect View whereby all the census returns have it as Prospect Terrace. Might there be a Prospect Terrace further down towards Victoria Road? Or, might it have been re-named?
KR.
Malcolm

Malcolm
There were both, as can be seen. Before I stated map was c1951. That was incorrect, as it was c1955. Have corrected earlier date.

map c 1955 showing louisa road.jpg

New member here - but in belated reply to Phil's post no 38 the photograph he posted is The General Havelock in Aston Road North. My dad was the licencee here in the 50's and the window to the right of the lantern light in the pubs flat roof was my Bedroom. The bar did slope and I recall the darts board with a kangaroo logo left by Australian WW2 troops. At the back of the pub over an alleyway was a courtyard of back to backs where some of my school pals lived. For me it's a brilliant memory of the last remnants of Victorian living conditions in Birmingham. You have to go to a museum to see this today.

The Corona works, in the maps (posts 41/45) caught my eye. Corona is mentioned in a few threads on BHF.
The company was founded by two grocers in the Rhondda in 1897. They were concerned that many miners spent too much of their money on alcoholic drinks and consequently provided soft drinks from a factory they built. Originally the house to house deliveries were by horse and cart. Eventually there were 87 Corona factories in the UK, the company became part of the Britvic Group in 1987. The original factory, in South Wales,still exists as a community arts centre.

Last edited:
the gang from c bryant and son. who done the brook works out side in 1960s used that place. next door was a welding shop and the garage with the penny farthing bike on the wall.the other side was wrensons. the other i cant remember. just down was phillip st. a motor bike parts ,and a model shop with a very nice lady, she let me look at the models

Back