• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The geach arms, summer lane

hello cliff and welcome......i was born in paddington st...you maybe interested in our geach st thread where many old photos of the street have been posted..if you click on the link below it will take you straight to the thread....it is best to start reading it from post 1 as you dont want to miss anything...along the way you may find that you cant view some of the images this is due to the forum being hacked some years back but most of the missing photos have been re posted further down the thread...enjoy

lyn

Hi Lyn.my spelling was awful.should have been geach street and rodway street.My father was a barmen for years at the three horse shoes when the gaffer was Ernie round.
I worked as a part time window cleaner with Ted leatherbarrow I also had a paper round at groves paper shop in summer lane and many people will remember me selling the sports Argus
around all the streets in that area.I also worked at Bailey Brothers on the corner of Hospital Street and Tower Street.I am still married to my wife who was Valerie George from Park Lane.People will remember her dad Erniewho always had his scotch terrier with him

dennis bird
Hello I'm here with Peter Round. Son of Enoch Round. My dad is 79. His name is Peter Round. My grandad was the gaffer of the three horse shoes from 1947 - 53. Please say hi if you have any memories. Richard Round

hello peter and welcome...click on link below which will take you to the pubs on summer lane thread...pretty long thread so read from post 1...there are photos of all the pubs that were on the lane including the horseshoes which you may find of interest

lyn

The Geach had a good Sunday Football Side in the 1960s I played for them.
It was called Alexandra Suppiles renamed Newtown Unity out of the Newtown Club.

My Dad drank there Astonian:)
My Mom and Dad ran the Geach for a few years back in the early 60s. Paddy and Betty Hanna. I went to St Chad's School. My best friend was Michael Scott. His Mom was a tall woman we knew as Big Joan Scott.
Betty passed away in 2006 and Paddy just passed away Sept 26 2021 here in Canada.

Attachments

• received_1254314421736462.jpeg
    received_1254314421736462.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
Hi pub crawlers
how many of you summer laners remember the
the geach arms
there was a good few characters that frequented the place
but names i will not mention ,as i know they do have relatives still alive today and the pub was on the corner of geach st.
John did you ever go in there ,or your father i found it smokey
but in them days most pubs was especialy in the bars
even thou they called rooms smoke rooms most of them was nt to bad ,it was always the bars and now we have no smoking at all in these pubs the smoking population was highly hughes in them days
with the park drives , woody wood bines my old man smoked two
per week with out fail poor old chap died at 42 years old in 1957
and there was the pipe smoking brigade , =how many smoke a pipe these days i wonder cleaner air less pubs these pipes didnt
half throw out smoke especial ols condor or twist and black shagg. [if i am allowed to say that would and i am not political
minded about it but it was a tobaco used by pipe smokers in those days best wishes astonian ;;
Here's a pic of an Ansells' Babycham glass

Attachments

• 20211012_093239.jpg
    20211012_093239.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 5
My Mom and Dad ran the Geach for a few years back in the early 60s. Paddy and Betty Hanna. I went to St Chad's School. My best friend was Michael Scott. His Mom was a tall woman we knew as Big Joan Scott.
Betty passed away in 2006 and Paddy just passed away Sept 26 2021 here in Canada.
any idea,s what the £5 reward was for?

my dad harry floyd used to drink in the geach,as our uncle sid used to live in geach street, i remember a macadori who used to live rough, some times my dad would bring him home and let him sleep in his van, i used to sit out side the geach some times selling fruit / veg or other items while my dad was in side ,good old days ,..........
The good old days we 2/17 geach st

Back