• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gazeys of Weston Sub-Edge, Glos.

Stargazey

knowlegable brummie
I wanted to post something that has cropped up in my Gazey Tree, about George Gazey 1802, George Gazey Jnr 1834, and Walter George Gazey 1833, as I have seen posts chasing these people and/or their descendants.
George Gazey 1802-1875 was borne to Jane Gazey 1778, who was the first child of Thomas Gazey 1752-1835 and Mary Powers (Powel) 1752-1715 who live in Weston Sub-Edge (Sub-Edge), Glos. The father of the child is unknown, so he is baptised taking her name Gazey ... I am not chasing that George, but thought I would put that info in the domain for those interested in knowing how that affects the line when trying to research the geneology beyond his dob of 1802?
George’s 1802 son William 1833 married to Annie Smith 1841 have a son Walter George 1859-1902, who is connected to Weston Sub-Edge (Subbidge), Glos, where a direct descendant if mine John Gazey 1787-1850 was born. And it is he and his brother Thomas 1783-1853 that leave the countryside and marry Birmingham Girls.
I would really like to know more about Walter George 1859 who I think starts a new line from Redditch, Worcs. Stargazey

PS from Stargazey to the post above.
The children of Walter George 1859 and his wife Ellen 1861, are listed in Findmypast as Garyers ... Joseph, Ellen, Thomas and Jane. This might just be a spelling mistake or mishearing, but it might have hampered the search in some cases. Stargazey

Deciphering the weird and wonderful spellings of surnames is all part of the fun.

Hi there .. to anyone who has an interest in the ancestors of the Gazey family. I have traced mine back to Thomas Gazey 1752 and Mary Powers (Powel) 1752? in Weston Subedge, Glos, where two of their sons leave to marry Bham girls, creating branches there. (My ancestor is their son John Gazy (Gazey) 1787.) Thomas’s father is William Gazey 1706, and one of his sons John Gazey marries Ann Cook(s) from Rowington, starting a Gazey line there. Next back - the one I am seeking info on - is William Gazey 1665 born in Chipping Campden, Glos, who has a half sister Sarah Gazey 1715. Their Father is Richard Gazey 1650 from Great Witcombe, Glos. I use FMP, but a friend with Ancestry supplied me with info from a private tree on that site, but unfortunately it didn’t check out positively. I have, however, found evidence that William 1665 married 3 times - 2 girls from Glos and 1 from Warks, and wonder if anyone has researched this gentleman? It would be good to have my research confirmed. All the place names I have mentioned are either in North Glos, or just over the border into Warks. So quite close. I think the moderators might move this post to Surnames, so I’ll look there also for replies. Cheers Stargazey

Back