• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the gate..sparkbrook

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the gate...studley st sparkbrook..

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Gate Inn Studley St.JPG
    Sparkbrook Gate Inn Studley St.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi
I used to be taken to the Gate by my parents in the late 40s early 50s & remember it had a 'grounds' which was a bit of a misnomer but it had a hedge round the inside of the wall which we used to run round & hide in with the other kids. The main drink was Vimto & Smiths Crisps with the blue salt bag in was the main food, occasionally biscuits with a wedge of Dairylea if we were really lucky. after we had run round a lot we would go & look into the bar & try & catch Dads eye to get us another Vimto, if we didn't catch his eye someone else would notice us & tell him.
My Mom was in the ladies darts team along with Don Macleans Mom.
It was a well used Pub by most of Studley street & a lot of Ombersley Road people.
I hope others from this era will come on with their memories, it would be even nicer to see some more pictures from the Gate.
Cheers
Dave Rock

hi dave..thanks for yor memories of the gate...pretty much the same as mine with the vine villa street which was our local....expect it was our dad who was the darts player...happy days...i will see if i can find any later pics of the gate for you...

lyn

Hi
would love to know the date of when the photograph was taken..as all my family came and lived in studley street...they was the Fawke coal merchants so maybe some of them are in the photo...

John

hi coalman...i can just make out the caption and it says the pic was taken before 1914 but no exact year..

lyn

I used to use the gate in the mid 60's up to the early 70's. The gaffer was Jack Blower an ex boxer if I remember rightly. It was a great little back street pub and always very lively with lots of local characters.

Around the end of the 60's Jack bought a pub, The Fish & Anchor at Offenham on the river. A gang of us used to pop down there some Saturdays for a days fishing & drinking.

Lyn I have that photo on mine the date is c1900. I also have this one taken in the grounds much later,but its still too early for me to recognise anyone. I also have this one of what the pub looks like now.

Phil

SparkbrookStudleyStGatePHGardens-1.jpg
SparkbrookTheGate.jpg

thanks for the date phil...that 2nd pic is a cracker but looking at my pic and your more recent one it looks like many changes have been made..still at least it still has the gate in its name..

lyn

Dave

I'm sorry, but I don't really have a clue and I don't even remember where I got the photo from. Looking at the clothes I would guess very shortly after the last war. Though going by the shortage of men in the photo it could have even been during the war.

Phil

Hi lyn

many thanks...would there be any chance of a copy of this photograph for my family file?..the first of the Fawke family arrived in studley street when it was originly named victoria street in the 1890's and the last of the Fawkes left studley street in the mid 60's...maybe this is why I always feel at home when driving down the street...despite being born miles away!
I am always on the lookout for any old photograghs of Studley Street hoping one day I will finaly get one of my Great grandfathers houses and coal yard.Can supply personnal e mail address.
Take care all

Back