• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gate Pub [saltley]

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI EVERY-ONE
Can Anybody Tell Me If The Saltley Gate Pub Is Still There
I Do Have Memory;s Of That Place Some Good And Some Bad , Way Back In The Sixties , And Doe,s Any body Recall The Old Jig Saw Night Club Across The Road From The Gate Pub It Used To Open UNTIL Five In The Morning
I Beleive It Used To Be An Old Picture House In Time Gone Bye
The Same Owner Used To Own The Golden Gloves On Mosely Rd
Along From The Moseley Remand Centre , The Golden Gloved Was Frequented By The Irish Communeety It Was One Of There First Clubs For Irish People In Brum , Best Wishes To You All . ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;

No Astonian, it was knocked down years ago...sorry mate.

Astonian,

I used the Golden Gloves a lot in the sixties. It was on the corner of Stratford Place and Moseley Rd opposite Highgate Park. Not much going for it as a club, but it one thing going for it. You could get one of the biggest and best T bone steaks in Birmingham.

There again when you are three sheets to the wind, everything takes on a different perspective. So perhaps the steak in reality was rubbish, but it certainly was big,

Phil

Can anyone tell how the Gate got its name a Toll gate there at one time maybe.:)

Yes I think you had to pay a toll to go up the Rock.
Also just there is Gate Street with the gates to the factory at the end. There was a map posted on here somewhere showing the toll gate.
Not a bad place to have a pub. Stop for refreshment..water the horse...pay the toll and on your way.

Last edited:
Alf,

I get the impression the actual tollgate was somewhere by Bloomsbury St.

This is the Gate c1860

Phil
Lost photo replaced

Saltley High St The Gate Inn 1860.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
pmc1947. Phil, The tollgates were, one at the corner of Bloomsbury Street at its juxtion with Great Lister Street and the other was Duddeston side of Saltley bridge.

The Gate pub had well deserved bad name if you was`nt a local you went in at your own risk so you kept out.

Last edited:
GER22VAN, Very possible through a window maybe through a wall, even if you were 6ft tall and fairly well built as i was in my youth discretion was the better part of valour, you just DID NOT go in.:RailGun: :1024: .

Last edited:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what year The Gate was demolished? I know it was in the early 1990's. After demolition some of the regulars laid a wreath on the site, the Evening Mail covered the story and I'm trying to find a copy of that.

Macca

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what year The Gate was demolished? I know it was in the early 1990's. After demolition some of the regulars laid a wreath on the site, the Evening Mail covered the story and I'm trying to find a copy of that.

Macca

1989 for road widening

Back