• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gas House Tavern Crawford Street Saltley

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
The Gas house was always a nice clean pub and it was located in Crawford street a little way up on the left from the High Street opposite the Council Public Works Department.

The last time I had a drink in there was in the seventies, when I was down Crawford Street looking at a lorry, by then it was surrounded by scrap firms and was beginning to get a bit grubby.

A short time later it closed, I have an idea it became a café for a while, but eventually I think it became part of a scrap yard and was later demolished.

Sorry I don't have a photo, but someone else may have one.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find it was mill lane that became crawford st sometime between 1896 and 1903. There was a "beer retailer" marked in Kellys at no 35 from 1896 (but not in 1876) till 1933. By 1940 the Gas house was listed at 35 , and was there till at least 1964.
mike

Nice one, thanks both. If anyone has any further information that would be great. Talking of the three As pub, has anyone got any idea why it was called that? What do the three As stand for? I understand that this pub is still standing. Any information on or photographs of the top end of Adderley Road round by the Mission Hall or Norton Baths would also be greatly appreciated.

Here is a map of 1890 showing the area. the pub had not been built but I think the pub was around the red area. I think you can see why it was called the gas house from the view it had
Mike

crawford_st_map.jpg

Hi Nostromo,
In reply to your post about the Three A's or Adderley Arms Pub, I read somewhere that the three A's were Adderley, Ash and Arden Roads in Saltley. I am researching Saltley particularly Adderley Road and the 'Quadrangle', if anyone on here has any photo's of Adderley Road, I would be most grateful to see them.

Trying to find a photo of this now demolished watering hole which was in Crawford St, Saltley Birmingham. Can anyone help please.

Trying to find a photo of this now demolished watering hole which was in Crawford St, Saltley Birmingham. Can anyone help please.

I am also trying to find a picture and have had no success so far. Ny grandmother lived next door to the pub her name was Margaret Read and she had quite a large family. Since you are looking I wonder if you know of my family too. Would love to hear from you.
Many thanks

I remember the "Gas House", but was that it's real name ? if not there could be a photo.already posted under it's true name.

thanks Mike,never knew it was it's proper name...I can't find a pic either.
On the subject of pub names...can anyone tell me why Atkinsons pubs were often refered to as "The Wrexham":rolleyes:

A little more has come back to me i think the frontage was built of blocks of stone rather than bricks, also it was used by the canal people off Saltley Basin for this reason not a lot of the locals used it that much.Dek

Hi Dek,

Yes, I seem to remember that the pub was on the bend at the far end of
Crawford Street where it turns towards Adderley Park Road.

Kind regards

Dave

In the 1901 and 1911 census there was a Shakespeare Tavern mentioned, but no Gas House.

Terry

Yes Terry, the Shakespeare tavern seems to be the same place as the Gas St Tavern. Kellys only lists a name from 1937 (Gas St Tavern), but the electoral roll shows it as the Gas St Tavern from 1930. Sp it looks as if it changed its name between 1911 and 1930.
Mike

Yes Terry the Shakespeare Tavern is the same position as the Gas house Tavern. Kellys only list a name (Gas house Tavern ) from 1937, but the electoral roll lists it as the later name from 1930 (no name before). So it changed its name belween 1911 and 1937
Mike

yes Terry, the Shakespeare tavern on the 1901 is the same position as the Gas house tavern later. Kellys only listed it by name from 1937, but the electoral roll lists it as the Gas St tavern from 1930 (no name before). It must have changed name between 1911 and 1937
Mike

hi mike...so if we find a pic of the shakespeare tavern that should sort it...

lyn

hi dek...just trying to confirm if the gas house tavern and the shakespeare were one and the same building with just a name change..:cry:

lyn

Nice one, thanks both. If anyone has any further information that would be great. Talking of the three As pub, has anyone got any idea why it was called that? What do the three As stand for? I understand that this pub is still standing. Any information on or photographs of the top end of Adderley Road round by the Mission Hall or Norton Baths would also be greatly appreciated.
I believe it stands for Ansells Aston Ales.

when i worked at the gas in duddeston mill road we used the three "A s" it was known as this because it was the adderley park tavern on the corner of arden road and adderley road.

philbee, I have over the years heard many theories explaining the meaning of the three A's, but I have to say yours is the best to date.

philbee, Just one observation after berniew's comment, Arden Rd was quite some way from the Adderley Park Tavern and it was at the junction of Ash Rd & Adderley Rd. I know it might have been some time after the opening that the locals started calling it the 3 A's for one thing at that time Ash Rd was called Park Rd, but I did read somewhere that one of the A's stood for "Atkinson" as it was an Atkinson house whe it opened.

my mistake i meant ash road not arden road must have had me beer goggles on when i typed it , we also used the gas house because it was outside the gas works gates in crawford street the pub was quite big inside and at the time of day we used it ( dinner time ) there was just us and a few locals in ( this was in the 70s) we also used normans cafe at the No 8 terminus if we wanted a bacon sarny and a cup of tea for a change and to play the pin ball machines as he used to pay out if you had a big win but i never seemed to get any but still enjoyable to watch the experts play

I only ever used the Gas house once in my life and that was when it was on it's down trend shortly before it was closed and used as part of a scrap yard for a few years before it was demolished. Though I had aquaintances older than myself who assured me that at one time it was a very respectable house.

I had looked for an image of this pub for years without success after somehow losing one that I had, when recently someone posted these two on another site that I use. They are of himself as a young lad and his parents Les and Win Jones outside the Gas House c1955 a pub which they managed in the 1950's. As he did not say he didn't want them reproduced elswhere I'm sure he won't mind me posting the here.gas house 1.jpg gas house 2.jpg

Back