• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Gardner girls

Ann Steiner

master brummie
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes......

Would anyone happen to have known the Gardner girls, who lived on Conybere when they were young? Their names were Doreen E., and Patricia J. Their father's name was Sam, and their mother's was Doris (Dolly). They were born in 1935 and 1936 respectively, and the Electoral Rolls show the family at 8 Moseley Place, on Conybere St. in 1939.

Doreen may have married a Mitchell or Nickless, and Patricia may have married an Allen, Passey, or Struthers.

They are cousins that I would like to find, if possible.

Ann

Hi Ann

First of all i must point out i don't know this family. I have had a look through the records and have put the results in an Instant Message to you because these are all quite "recent" records

bren

Hi Ann,

I have just come across your post asking for information regarding Doreen and Patricia Gardner. Obviously your request is some years old now so I`m not sure if you have or still want the following bit of information.

Doreen did indeed marry a Nickless, Maurice, and had three children, Faye, Steve and Robert. Robert happens to be my best-friend of some 30 years standing. Doreen has, sadly, been widowed twice, but is still in amazingly good shape. She has several grand and great-grand children.

I don`t know Doreen`s sister, Patricia, but I believe she is still alive.

The amazingly coincidental thing is that my maternal great-grandparents were Walter and Henrietta Maria Passey, (which is quite a rare name,) and it was while researching the `Passey` name that I came across your query. Both Bob, Doreen and I have been quite shocked and amused to discover that after all these years of knowing each other, we might be related, albeit only through marriage.

I`ve spoken to Bob about your search and he has spoken to Doreen. She does not possess or know how to use a PC/Laptop so you may need to email Bob.

I will forward you Bob`s email just as soon as I can confirm from him that that is okay for me to do so, though knowing him as I do I don`t envisage any problem with that. I hope you understand my reluctance to give you his email without his permission.

If I can be of any further help, please don`t hesitate to contact me.

Very best regards,

Liam.

Liam, Ann has not logged on to this forum since December 2012 but you could send her a private message via the forum. Alberta

Hi Liam,

Thank you for your post about Doreen (Gardner) Nickless -- confirming who she married, and that she is still living (as well as her sister Patricia, as far as you know).

I understand the need to obtain Bob's permission before providing me with his email -- am hoping he will be okay with it, and will look forward to contacting him. Doreen may not be able to furnish me with the information I am seeking on my great-grandmother/her gr-great-grandmother, but if not, I can perhaps at least tell her a bit about the background of that family line.

Will see if I can perhaps write you privately and provide you with my email address.

Thank you again!

Best,
Ann

Hi Ann,

I have no doubt that Bob will be fine with my giving you his email address.

As I wrote it was pure chance, Ann that I came across your original query while looking up the name `Passey,` and then to discover that Bob and I are related (sort of) was just amazing!!

I will pass on your email to Bob.

Liam.

Liam,

I have not not heard from Bob yet, but hope he'll have a chance to write soon -- and it won't wind up in the spam folder!

Thank ni you again.

Best,
Ann

Hi Ann,

I have no doubt that Bob will be fine with my giving you his email address.

As I wrote it was pure chance, Ann that I came across your original query while looking up the name `Passey,` and then to discover that Bob and I are related (sort of) was just amazing!!

I will pass on your email to Bob.

Liam.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ann,

I have today met with Bob, (he and his family now live some 50 miles from me,) along with his wife,son and grandson and also with Doreen. Neither Bob nor Doreen have any problem with you getting in contact with them, and indeed look forward to it. As I explained before, Doreen does not have a laptop or PC and does not know how to use one, so all communication will be between yourself and either Bob or his wife Jacquie.

Bob works in London away from home during the week, and may not be able to answer your emails until such time as he can find a `spare moment` or until he returns home for the weekend.

Any problems please don`t hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Liam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back