• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

THE GARDENERS ARMS BUT WHERE?

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i have been given a photo of the gardeners arms pub..no date or location but it is meant to be in birmingham...would anyone have heard of this pub...photo is quite old possibly taken in the 1920s/30s landlords name above the door is herbert evans...any help would be appreciated..if it can be pinned down as a birmingham pub i am happy to scan and post the photograph

lyn

Lyn

There was a Gardeners Arms in Solihull that closed in 1971, these are photo's of it, was this the one?

Solihull Gardeners Arms (Closed 1971).jpgSolihull Gardeners Arms High St .jpg

no phil this one is much smaller although the etching on the window is similar to the windows in your photo also the large lamp hanging outside is also similar...this one only has one window and looks as though it used to be a house...if you cant find any other pubs of this name i am happy to scan and post the photo i have

lyn

There was a Gardeners Arms at Vauxhall Bridge in 1855 Lyn. I found another reference to the Gardeners Arms, Birmingham in April 1883. Difficult to tell if it’s the same one as Vauxhall. Viv.

Attachments

• B0303353-D4B4-4A6A-9F91-5A6282ED7922.jpeg
    B0303353-D4B4-4A6A-9F91-5A6282ED7922.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 17
thanks for that viv...i will post the photo asap as my scanner has decided to throw a wobbly at the min...:rolleyes:

lyn

Lyn

From the sign it looks like it was a beer house only, as it's not licensed to sell wines and spirits accordingly the sign says that Herbert Evans is a beer retailer.

yes thats what i thought phil but i wonder if it was in birmingham...at a guess i would say that is herbert evans at the door with his 2 children and a customer fetching a jug of ale

lyn

Lyn you say the man is fetching a jug of ale, but the sign above the door says to be consumed on the premises. I though beer sellers were like an outdoor. Anyway I was never in one. ;)

The word on the side of the lamp looks like Showells. This was a brewery started in Oldbury but at some time operated in Birmingham. The name appears in a number of threads but I haven't found anything to identify the pub.

Further info - see http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_Showell's_Brewery_Co_Ltd_pubs
The Gardeners Arms appears to have been in Bloomsbury Street (Aston/Nechells area) but I wouldn't know if this was the pub in the photo.

Last edited:
hi eric yes i looked again and i think you are right about the date of the photo...i am never good at this sort of thing

lyn

Lyn, Kelly's Directory 1913 lists a Herbert Evans, Beer Retailer at 157, Moseley Street.

thats great thanks ever so much...the landlords name fits and also the year about right so could this be the location of the pub in my photo :)

lyn

Last edited:
And the 1912 directory (which would refer to 1911) is a different licensee. In the 1915 directory (referring probably to 1914 the licensee was Emma Morris. So that limits the period to approx. 1912-1913.

Jukebox identified Showells on the lamp. It also says “Cress Wells” with a cross in the middle of the two words. What does that refer to ? Viv.

If I have understood correctly - at one time it was Showells and Crosswells Brewery. The address seems to have been Crosswell Road Oldbury.

Just checked newspapers and we can eliminate the Crosswells Inn at Langley, Oldbury as this was still in existence in December 1953 and still used the same name. Think it’s still there today, and using the same name.

I notice from the newspapers in November 1883 there was a Crosswells Inn on Stratford Road, Alcester.

Viv.

I was not suggesting that this was the Crosswells pub, merely commenting why Crosswells should be on the lamp

thanks mike i was getting confused lol....given the fact that Kelly's Directory 1913 lists a Herbert Evans, Beer Retailer at 157, Moseley Street birmingham i think the gardeners arms in my photo was taken in birmingham but as kellys do not give the name of the pub it may not have been in moseley street there again it may have been :rolleyes: mike is it possible to post a map showing 157 moseley street please...just wondered if it was a small or large property...thanks mike

lyn

Last edited:
Cannot be certain, as pubs do change names, but the etched glass looks quite old. However, in the 1891 census i157 Moseley st was not called the Gardners Arms, but what looks like The Sportsman

1891 census.157 moseley st.jpg

Last edited:
Should have added that no name is given for the pub in the 1901 and 1911 censuses

thanks mike but this still does not confirm that the the gardeners arms used to be called the sportsman as at the min we cant place a pub of that name in moseley st although it is looking quite possible especially if my photo was taken before 1891 ...this is turning into quite a mystery... all we know for sure is that the gardeners arms in my photo was run by herbert evans its a shame there is no definate date on it that may have helped...mike did you see my post 25

lyn

Last edited:
Sorry. meant to say that it was not impossible that 157 was The Gardeners Arms, but I considered it unlikely . Incidentally it is also the Sportsman in 1881 and 1871

Back