• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

'The Gangs of Birmingham' - (The Peaky Blinders)

sheri

master brummie
I looked on amazon for the book about the peaky blinders - can someone tell me please the correct title.
Many thanks,
Sheri

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: the peaky blinders

From the Sloggers to The Peaky Blinders

The Gangs Of Birmingham
By Philip Gooderson
Dek

hi all
i bought this book yesterday
I've not got round to starting it but I am looking forward to it (too many books on the back burner to read)
I have been following the BBC drama and have read a little on the internet about the gangs
It will be nice to read the real stories behind these faces

I also bought it its a great book passed it on to Carolina who in turn is going to pass it on once read do hope you are enjoying it Carolina.

Celia I can assure you once you start it you won't want to put it down.

The BBC drama is addictive to just caught up with three episodes.

Hello 'the smiths' havent forgotten to pass on, just hadnt read it by the time the last 'meet' was, but sure enough it will be therefore the Xmas one. Hope you are well. Carol

Hi Carolina I'm good thanks do hope you are well to. How do you compare the book to the series?

This thread posted in the "A Good Book at Bedtime" section was to discuss the book, it was started before the second thread which relates to the television programme.

Colin

The book was more down to earth as most tv programmes taken from books are always glamourised to make it more viewable. The book wasnt just about the peaky blinders as its called The Gangs of Birmingham. Here is a map of the slogging gangs and their areas which is shown in the book. Hope you can read it, I tried to make it larger but it didnt work so you need to click on it.

Gangs of Birmingham.jpg

Last edited:

Have just posted this on the other Peaky Blinder thread. Don't think its been put on before, but its interesting to hear what Carl Chinn has to say about them.

https://youtu.be/DDzfeTTigKo

Judy

Last edited:

Well done lyn, just registered for more tour dates.

hi rob...i cant make the first dates either as ive got a very busy run up to christmas this year including plans to make for my daughter rachel and hubbys visit from usa to spend christmas and new year with us...not seen them for 2 and half years so excitement is now mounting....:adoration:

lyn

Bet you can't wait Lyn, dads cousin is coming over just before Xmas from Australia, she is nearly 80 and coming to London with her friend,but making the trip here to see mom and dad, she was last here about 20 years ago, so we are excited too.
Sue

certainly cant wait sue...hope you all enjoy your family reunion as well...what better time than at christmas...

lyn

Don't want to be a meany but this thread is about the book 'Gangs of Birmingham' that formed the basis for Peaky Blinders the TV series. Maybe a new one for the tours is needed or to add the info to the TV series thread?

Hi Carolina, Do hope you enjoyed the book, and hope you signed the book marker before you passed it on.

If whoever as the book at the moment perhaps they would let me know the answer as would love to hear your intake on the book.

Regards Viv.......

Hi Bernard
If you want to know and read about the gangs of tested years and the original peakie take a peek at this book
Its called Birmingham. ,the sinister side by Steve Jones its a wicked publication to read and it as a gang of peakies in it living in a big court
In clyde Aston that's for starters and if you read it in bed you will not sleep because page after page it gets you
Page after page crime after crime from the Victorian and the edwardian times
They are closely pages with pictures of all the villains and there crimes of thefts and murders and the story lines to go with them
And it involved the police enrolments problems starting from 1883 and there rules the police had to abide bye
It really is a tremous book to buy it also gives you the mug shots of prisoners of Winston green prison of that years of queen Victorian
Best wishes astonian,,,,,

To ensure you don't miss future updates, please add the BBC Audience address to your contacts or safe list No images visible or problems with display?
Go to web page view
bbc_logo.jpg%20
d.jpg
[h=2]Peaky Blinders Two World Premiere[/h]
After the resounding success of series one, epic gangster drama Peaky Blinders returns to BBC Two this autumn. Stars Cillian Murphy and Helen McCrory will be joined by Tom Hardy and Noah Taylor for the second series, which will see the Shelby family of Birmingham expand their empire as the 1920s begin to roar.

This is your chance to attend a world premiere screening of the first episode of the new series in Birmingham. You will see the stars of the show walking down the red carpet outside the venue with the opportunity to get autographs and photos. You'll also sit in on a Q&A session with a panel that will include star and award-winning writer and creator of the series, Steven Knight.

We would encourage you to dress up for the occasion and wear a Peaky Blinder themed costume (flat cap and period themed suits, minus the razor blades!).

Please note that we aim to begin the screening at 6pm and audience entry to the venue will be shortly before this time. Entrance to the venue will be on a first come first served basis. The stars will arrive at the red carpet at 4.45pm. We'd encourage you to arrive in good time for this for your chance to have photos and autographs and to secure entry to the screening. Please wear suitable outdoor clothing during this time.

To make the distribution of tickets as fair as possble we are operating a random draw for tickets.

You can register at any time until Thursday 11 September at 4pm.

You can apply for a maximum of two tickets per household.

Date: 21 September
Time: 4.45pm Red Carpet. Screening begins at 6.00pm, Q&A at 7.00pm
Venue: Cineworld-Birmingham

Good luck with your application.

Kind regards
BBC Studio Audiences

Please do not respond to this email as the address is not monitored.

Be on a show
See full calendar of events
Book a tour
bbc_blocks.png
© 2013

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

One for the diary: an evening event by Carl Chinn looking in to the real Peaky Blinders on 26 November. Very good film on this link, well worth watching. Carl also makes an interesting comment that there's a book/film waiting to be written out there about the rise of boxing and it's discipline and the effect on gang crime. Anyone up for the job? ! Viv.

https://historywm.com/newsletters/49/index.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi

You can almost feel them around the Picture via Facebook

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• 10685596_969741253042125_2695006358110849671_n.jpg
    10685596_969741253042125_2695006358110849671_n.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 44
I think that's the Church of the Messiah which used to stand over the canal, it's Brindley Place (Broad St.) now.
rosie.

The buildings you see over the canal are the shops in Broad Street which are still there. The spire does belong to the Church of the Messiah which as Rosie says was over the canal but you can't see the actual church except a bit of the roof in this view.

Back