• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the gaiety cinema coleshill st

Alexander Francis Smith

knowlegable brummie
regarding this cinema who can remember the abc minors club?, their signature tune was blaze away, does anyone recall the words?, it started off " we are the boys and girls well known as minors of the abc

My friend John was the son of Mrs Stevenson the caretaker of Handsworth Dairies, circa 1953? does any one remember her?. Len.

well thank you so much , i have just listened to it and it has taken me right back to my childhood, there was just one line i could not remember and having just heard it i can go to bed now with happy memories

i used to go to the gaiety cinema with my friends,, we have often sneaked in,one of us would pay then go to the tiolet and open fire door next to it, then let the other others in. this went on for a long time till we got caught happy days

i used to go to the gaiety cinema with my friends,, we have often sneaked in,one of us would pay then go to the tiolet and open fire door next to it, then let the other others in. this went on for a long time till we got caught happy days

You and me both. We must have been queueing up.Dek

It is poor quality,but the only one i have seen.moss

Attachments

• The Gaiety.jpg
    The Gaiety.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 18
Mossg a couple more of the Gaiety. The fire escape door was down the gully to the left of the Cinema. Dek

Attachments

• Gaiety Front.jpg
    Gaiety Front.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Coleshill St passing the Gaiety.jpeg
    Coleshill St passing the Gaiety.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 16
hi guys ;
i only went there one or twice in fact i did not really rate it ;
the only time i went there with a couple of my brothers and thats when they tried the midnight showing of films
they done it for about 3 months trials as one or two picture houses was doing it way back in the sixties
i used to go to the edgbaston ; and the crown ;and the oedeon at small brook ring way ; and thats whee i seen a live performance of elvis
live by satulite and it cost me twenty quid that was his first ever tranmission to england ;
i found the gaieity very small compared to other places and never went back there oh and i used to travel to moseley rd to th essolda
and whe i was a little kid aged around 8 years old my uncle my dads brother used to take me regular to the jacy picture house to se the cartoons
there ; and thats when the old roads was busy and with public toilets going down steps in the middle of the main rd
and the 39 bus used to stop out side henrys big stores way back in the forties and fifties ; we would get the 39 on park rd out side ansells brewery
and inthose days there used to be little shops on the front of ansells until ansells built big posh offices on the very corner and put a clock above there offices
best wishes astonian;;;;

Back