• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Four Provinces

David Pagett Bunce

Brummie babby
Hi, does anyone recall a social club/pub called The Four Provinces or The 4 P's from back in the 1950s early 1960's? It is possibly now called The Pavilions and is 229 Alcester Road South near Kings Heath. I'm looking for the name of the Landlord/Tennant who managed or ran the club around that time. This is a personal search looking for family history. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi David,
There is a social club called the E57 at 699 Alcester Road South. Could this have perviously been The 4 P's? The names on the Midland Electoral Register for 1955 at that address are Ernest and Alice Banner.
Lynn.

Hi David,
There is a social club called the E57 at 699 Alcester Road South. Could this have perviously been The 4 P's? The names on the Midland Electoral Register for 1955 at that address are Ernest and Alice Banner.
Lynn.
Hi Lynn and thank you for the response.....I should have put that I'm pretty sure that it is now called the Pavilions 229 Alcester road. I am aware of the E57 but not the place I'm looking for. Thanks again.

hi there the 4ps or four provinces was opened in circa 1964-5 the manager was billy lavin rip,,it was owned by jerry cohen,,who sold it to john courtney it closed in the mid 90s my late father in law tom fitzgerald did the tarmacing front and rear carparks,

Hi, does anyone recall a social club/pub called The Four Provinces or The 4 P's from back in the 1950s early 1960's? It is possibly now called The Pavilions and is 229 Alcester Road South near Kings Heath. I'm looking for the name of the Landlord/Tennant who managed or ran the club around that time. This is a personal search looking for family history. Many thanks.
Hi Gerry Coen was my dad, he ran the 4 P’s for years, he passed away in 2000, we grew up hearing of stories of all the fabulous nights that were had there, it was a very special time in their lives, I’d love to hear more stories from anyone who would have known the place or who’s parents went there during the 60’s

the four provinces was a very successful irish social club started by gerry coen a major plastering contractor in the midlands, its now the pavillion pub, i was a regular there,,,gerry coen rip was a very nice guy,, he,was a great friend of my late father in law tom fitzgerald,,,best regards john griffin,

I went to a function there just the once, a Saint Patrick's night's do.
Went with my grandmother, a cousin, and a few Irish pal's from Balsall Heath, was a cracking night out, 1974/5, not sure, too many beer's.

the four provinces was a very successful irish social club started by gerry coen a major plastering contractor in the midlands, its now the pavillion pub, i was a regular there,,,gerry coen rip was a very nice guy,, he,was a great friend of my late father in law tom fitzgerald,,,best regards john griffin,
Thanks John that’s great to know, thank you for the information

I went to a function there just the once, a Saint Patrick's night's do.
Went with my grandmother, a cousin, and a few Irish pal's from Balsall Heath, was a cracking night out, 1974/5, not sure, too many beer's.
Too many beers sign of a good night!!

Hi Gerry Coen was my dad, he ran the 4 P’s for years, he passed away in 2000, we grew up hearing of stories of all the fabulous nights that were had there, it was a very special time in their lives, I’d love to hear more stories from anyone who would have known the place or who’s parents went there during the 60’s
Welcome to the Forum Sara, enjoy!

hi there the 4ps or four provinces was opened in circa 1964-5 the manager was billy lavin rip,,it was owned by jerry cohen,,who sold it to john courtney it closed in the mid 90s my late father in law tom fitzgerald did the tarmacing front and rear carparks,
Hi John Delia coen would love to get in contact with you, she told me all the times you had together years ago in the 4P’s

Back