• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The footballing Deveys

W

Wakadowakado

Has anyone done a study of the sportsmen in this family?
Arthur and Harry (twins 10031860)
William (1865) and John (1866) the most famous
Is it correct that the latter were nephews of the twins and not brothers?

Hi Wak,
How do you know that Harry and Arthur were twins...?, just check the births index for the year 1860 (March Qtr) and only Harry's name appears.
I am always interested to see info on Villa players of that period, I have a very good friend who is the great grand daughter of Jimmy Warner.

Hi JKC Thanks for response. I conferred with John Lerwill, the Villa archivist,
about the facts of Harry Devey's relationship to the more famous John.
He is adamant that it is uncle/nephew. He states three Deveys (H.P., J.H.G.
and W.) all played together in one match for the Villa.
I am also very interested to share any information about personnel in the
glorious period of the Club.
I found the details of Jimmy Warner's later life quite poignant and also very
interesting as a boxing enthusiast in various capacities Best wishes WAK

Is this the family you are interested in,but can tie no Arthur in with them.

Dwelling: 6 Whitmore Street

Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England

William DEVEY M 35 M Sheffield
Rel: Head
Occ: Worker Of Silver
Mary A. DEVEY M 30 F Birmingham
Rel: Wife
John H.G. DEVEY 14 M Birmingham
Rel: Son
Occ: Jeweller
William DEVEY 12 M Birmingham
Occ: Scholar
Edwin J. DEVEY 10 M Birmingham
Abel DEVEY 8 M Aston Birmingham
Harry DEVEY 6 M Aston Birmingham
Mary A. DEVEY 4 F Aston Birmingham
Rel: Daur

This may also be of interest as I see that one of the players was HP Devey.
Twins Henry Prince Devey and Robert Alfred Devey were born 1864 Aston
by the time he married Henry called himself Harry Prince Devey on his wedding certificate.
The name is spelt incorrectly on the 1881 census
Dwelling: 6 Court 1 House Berner St.
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341726 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3037 Folio 105 Page 17
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Hannah DEVY W 62 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Occ: House Keeper (Dom)
Harry DEVY U 16 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Occ: Electro Plater
R.A. DEVY U 16 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Occ: Electro Plater
Beatrice COOPER U 7 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Gr.Daur
F.W. TONKS U 19 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Jeweller Locket Maker

HP Devey, John HG Devey and W Devey did in fact play in two games for the Villa, 7th Jan 1893 against Sheffield Wednesday at home the villa won 5-1, Devey W scored one of the goals, then they played together again 4 days later at Blackburn score 2-2....., HP Devey was the uncle of John, being born around two years earlier, W Devey I don't think was related to either of them....but I am not sure.....John did play with two uncles while playing for the Excelsior Club, one of them being Harry.....and according to the Peter Morris Aston Villa book from 1960's....that John and Harry became team mates at the Villa also....no mention of a third Devey.

Ta Alberta for your info on the Devey family.....what has got me puzzled is the fact that John HG mother had the maiden name of Prince......yet Prince is the middle name of her brother in law......

Another piece of nonsense concerning the Villa team in 1901, when the 1901 census was being taken the whole of the team was in Blackpool, probably taking a break at the end of the season....

Hi Alberta, Thanks for your sterling efforts.It seems evident that the relationship between John Devey and Harry Devey was uncle/nephew. It may be that the 'Arthur Devey' (a twin is, Robert Alfred Devey) listed in the Aston Villa player database. Once again many thanks WAK

Hi everyone,

The above mentioned JHG 'Jack' Devey was my great-grandfather (my fathers grandfather) My dad lived with him when he was growing up, he was JHG's daughther, Doris Rosina's son, Douglas. I would be so interested to hear about the family tree, as I didnt realise that John had such sporting brother/nephews. So if anyone has any information, it would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks,

V

Here is a photo with one of the Devey's on I have the original.

Hi V.

John Henry George Devey married Alice Esther Tillotson in west Bromwich 1889
1891 census
Radnor Street,Birmingham
John HG Devey age 24 Grocer and outdoor Licensee
Alice age 23
Doris R age 1

In 1901 John HG a proffessional footballer is in a hotel in Blackpool perhaps thats where they were playing.

227 Berners street

Alice Devey age 33
Doris R 11
Gladys age 7

Dear Alberta,

Thank you for that, those details will really help me on my search for more information. I didn't know that Doris had a sister, so this is something else for me to search.

Delving further back is the family you quoted above, will this have been JHG's parents and siblings?

I know my grandmother Doris, was married and became Doris Hands, as this is what is said on my father's birth certificate. Is there any way of seeing if she actually married my grandfather, Percival Charles Gordon Whitehill?

Thank you again,

Kind Regards,

V

Dwelling: 6 Whitmore Street

Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England

William DEVEY M 35 M Sheffield
Occ: Worker Of Silver
Mary A. DEVEY M 30 F Birmingham
Rel: Wife
John H.G. DEVEY 14 M Birmingham
Occ: Jeweller
William DEVEY 12 M Birmingham
Edwin J. DEVEY 10 M Birmingham
Abel DEVEY 8 M Aston Birmingham
Harry DEVEY 6 M Aston Birmingham
Mary A. DEVEY 4 F Aston Birmingham
Rel: Daur

The entry you quoted is from the 1881 census

JHG parents were william Devey and Mary ann Prince who married in 1866.

John HG had as far as I can see 6 brothers and 1 sister.
William b. 1869
Edwin J 1871
Abel 1873
Harry 1875
Mary A 1876
Alfred 1884
George R 1888

1871 Denmark street,Erdington,Aston

William Devey age 23 b. yorkshire ,Electro plate worker
Mary A age 20
John H G age 4
William age 2
Edwin age 2 months

1891 they are living in Church street Aston Manor.

hi

I am working on a history of Warwickshire cricketers and am trying to find out more info about Jack, do you by any chance have any biographical info that has not been published before?

Hi everyone,

The above mentioned JHG 'Jack' Devey was my great-grandfather (my fathers grandfather) My dad lived with him when he was growing up, he was JHG's daughther, Doris Rosina's son, Douglas. I would be so interested to hear about the family tree, as I didnt realise that John had such sporting brother/nephews. So if anyone has any information, it would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks,

V

Would any of the Devey's mentioned be past relatives to Ray Devey, Birmingham City footballer - around late 1940's? At that time,Ray used to live in Abbotsford Road, Sparkbrook, and I lived just around the corner (Medlicott Road). As I was about 12/13 years of age,, I would often chat to him, trying to get inside information! A lovely man.

Would any of the Devey's mentioned be past relatives to Ray Devey, Birmingham City footballer - around late 1940's? At that time,Ray used to live in Abbotsford Road, Sparkbrook, and I lived just around the corner (Medlicott Road). As I was about 12/13 years of age,, I would often chat to him, trying to get inside information! A lovely man.

Hi Have just found your mentions of the Devey Family, my family the Sanders lived near to them and they were great friends, my Gt Uncle Frederick Sanders was wanted by the Villa but his father wouldn't let him go. The Sanders family were all jewellers.

valerieexbrummie

Hi everyone,

Many thanks,

V
Hi, my Mum was Anita Devey( sadly passed away in 1998), She was the Daughter of Rodney Devey and relative of John Devey. John died the year before my Mum was born. I am not sure if John was possibly either her Great Grandfather or her Great Uncle. I never heard anything about any of John's Brothers. John also played Cricket for Warwickshire 1894–1907. They were a very sporting Family. My Brother and my Son inherited those sporting genes :) I sadly did not. I may be able to find out a little more info when I find my Mum's family tree information but it would probably only be about how they are related.

Back