• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Flower of Sacrifice

B

Beryl M

The Flower of Sacrifice
index.php

The Poppy:  is the symbol of death and sacrifice - symbol of Remembrance Day November 11 for the dead of the first and Second World Wars

Once called the corn poppy because it blooms in grain fields,The Poppy of Flanders as it is now called grew freely in trenches of war zones. The earth disturbed and exposed by artillery shells caused seeds to germinate.

After World War 1, governments as yet hadn't accepted the responsibility for those who suffered as a result of war. In Britain, unemployment was a big problem. Earl Haig, the British Commander-in-Chief Earl Haig, in-Chief, had the task of organizing the British Legion as a means of coping with the problems of hundreds and thousands of men who had served under him in battle.  So it was the widows of French ex-servicemen who approached him at the British Legion Headquarters bringing with them some poppies they had made, the idea was that they might be sold as a way of raising money to help those in need as a result of war.
The red poppy was first called a Flower of Remembrance by Colonel John McCrae, who was Professor of Medicine at McGill University of Canada before World War One. Colonel McCrae had served as a gunner in the Boer War, but went to France in World War One as a medical Officer with the first Canadian Contingent.
At the second battle of Ypres in 1915, when in charge of a small first-aid post, he wrote in pencil on a page torn from his dispatch book:   

In Flanders' Field the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields

Take up the quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours and hold it high.
If you break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
                                      Col John McCrae

My Response to "IN FLANDERS FIELDS"

In Flanders' fields the conflict grew
The din the noise the cannons threw
Havoc let loose rages around
The death denouncing trumpet sound

The combat deepens on the brave
With rush to glory or the grave
Blood stains the earth where you lie
As red as the poppy blooms
In Flanders' Fields

We have a promise we need to keep
To all in Flanders who lie asleep
We take the torch the poppy red
And wear in honour of our dead!

Have we learned the lessons taught?
For those who died was not for naught
In Flanders' Fields
           Beryl McMullen

We must remember the sacrifice of those thousands of live.  If we don't the sacrifice of those who gave their lives will be meaningless.   They died for their homes, family and friends, for a collection of traditions they cherished and a future which they believed in, they died for us

Beryl, that was a lovely piece of poetry,
very moving, sadly a lot for what those men fought and died for
have gone forever,thanks to the world of to-day's politicians

Remember Me

In duty for their country died
Departed sons left trails behind
So letÂ’s now review the scene
Shape how things might have been
The hope to perpetuate mankind
Was to them forever denied?

From voices of old battles fought
Hope they didnÂ’t die for naught
It was so others could be free
War is useless if it isnÂ’t to be
Friend– stand still- remember me
Young strong free as is the POPPY

Beryl McMullen

Please Buy a Poppy

I try to take people as I find them. I try not to judge people on how they look or what they wear, that is their own business and it's a free (ish) At this time of year, though, my baser instincts come to bare . The closer it gets to Remembrance Day, the more disappointed when I see so many people who are not wearing poppies.

On Remembrance Day, we give thanks to those who lost their lives in the wars but also to those who survived. These people gave up their best years to defend our freedom. At the time of life when most of us are having fun, the soldiers in the two world wars were fighting in far away places. For many, life was never the same again. They lost their youth and their innocence. I know of a number of old soldiers who thought that they had buried the painful memories, only for them to resurface and torment them at the end of their lives.

With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies. . .

In Flanders Fields.
Col John McCrae​

What you have written Beryl is very true. The conflicts continue sadly.
I sometimes visit the link on the Drudge Report page called The List
which has an up to date tally of the American War dead in Iraq with photos.https://www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html.

Is there a British page like this? I once saw an Iraqi page with just the amount of casualties civilian and soldiers but can't remember where.

We will not forget! but we must change.

Hello Everyone

Have been reading these postings with interest. This is the first time I have contributed my father fought in Galipoli in 1914-18 he was in the Welsh regiment . Cut down by a Turkish sword he was lucky to have survived and was invalided out with a silver badge. He had four other brothers who all served in the great war .Two uncles on my mothers side also fought in this war , fortunately all returned (Charles minus a leg) and all suffered some damage or other ,all were heroes, all were veterans ,and all were angry at the useless and futile waste of life on both sides.

Like my father and my uncles (all now unfortunately gone)I will not be wearing a poppy I will have put into a collection and will be remembering those that fell, and if you turn round at the memorial service that you attend and see a man not wearing a poppy say hello it may be me .

jim sword

sadly jim
my poppy in the back window of my car was sadly destroyed on saturday night along with the glass when braindead idiots put a brick through it, sad country we live in.
police did'nt want to know.i didn't see the braindead idiots face at 10 o'clock at night.
i have told the police i will try not to use force next time.but my fuse is getting shorter now i'm older,

For the first time this year my wife and me went on the knocker in our village with poppies, I was a little apprehensive when first approached by a neighbour who is a member of the Royal British Legion but felt I could not refuse especially with our boys doing their bit in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We did the round on Saturday morning and all my apprehension melted away, every house we went to gave gladly, so I think people really do appreciate our Armed Forces, I am now looking forward to next year.

Darby,a thank you to you both for doing this! Although you had a good response you didn't know that when you took on the task! I hope more people take the initiative like you and your wife. Well done both!

Back