• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Flats

H

harborne

Can anyone please tell me whereabout The Flats were? Mum used to take us shopping there and there was a Woolworths. Also what was the road that led from Hockley Brook to The Flats?

A.Willoughby

master brummie
Icknield Street ran from Spring Hill to Hockley Brook, Key Hill ran down, from Soho Road, to Icknield Street and immediately opposite was Lodge Road.
The Flats was that area of shops from Icknield Street and along Lodge Road for a distance of some three hundred yards approx.

Hi Harborne,

I was born and bred just off Lodge Road. The Flat was our local shopping area. If you go on to the Winsongreentobrookfields.co.uk site, you will some pictures on there of the Flat, Jackie

DaveInston

master brummie
I also went shopping with my Mom to "The Flats" or "the Flat" which was, as you say, Lodge Road. We used to walk down Icknield Street to get there from Hockley Brook. This was in the 50s and 60s. Nowadays however, you would find this impossible with the new roads (see google maps at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=)

I always wondered why it was called "The Flats". Similarly, the other local shopping area we went to with Mom was Villa Road in Lozells (or Handsworth, I was never sure of the boundary). Villa road was known as "The Village" as in, " I'm gooing up the village! R yow cumin' !"

I would be very interested to hear anything of the history of "The Village" and "The Flats". Pictures of "The Flats" would also be welcomed

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
Dave, I believe it was called The Flat (not Flats) because of it's geological features - the only bit of flat ground around there. Whatever direction you approached from was downhill and, strangely enough, any route out was uphill, while all the shops were built on the same area of level ground.

As Jackie pointed out, there's a whole load of pictures and stories here... https://tinyurl.com/2toxlu

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
the flat

hi there oisin
you are quite right indeed ,
it as and always will be called the flat
for long as people can and will remember it today
but it is ad to see it run down now i was up there the other
week ,when i went to key hill cem;
i grew up around there and my father worked at charles harris

the bakelite moulders on the end of the flat
which used to be the start of the hill
i had alot of old friends and relatives living around there
if you walked the oppersite way towards ickniel st
and crossed over you would walk up key hill cemetry
and about fifty yards past there
there was a pub called the trees, thats where
johny prescott the boxer from nechells done his traing up stairs

best wishes

astonian ;;;;

DaveInston

master brummie
Maybe this is slightly off topic, apologies, but what was the name of the department store in Key hill? I remember as a kid in late 50s early 60s the pneumatic comms system for sending invoices and such around the store

Patty

master brummie
In about the 1970's I had a hairdressing shop on the flat it was called DUBARRY'S. I was at the far end by Lodge rd, Griffins the green grocers was opposite and a butchers called Mytons that killed all the animals at the back of their shop. If I can remember right there was a bookies one side of me and a Boutique on the other side were I used to buy all my midi dresses from I think her name was ann and she ran it with her mom.
There was a woolworths and a cake shop called Smiths.
When I first took over the shop the hot pants were in fashion and I had some for our uniforms the butchers over the way nearly cut their fingers off many a time looking over. I had some great times there the stories I could tell. I wish I had taken some photo's. I pass that way going to my sisters and Smiths is still there, if I remember next time I will take my camera.

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Here are two maps showing the Flat as it was. One is from Kempson's survey for the Street Commissioners in 1810, and the other about a century later when the whole area was built up. The Little Hockley Pool occupied the area later in the triangle between Lodge Road, Park Road and Icknield Street, and also extended over part of what became the railway goods yard.
'The Flat', as I remember it, was centred on the crossroads of Icknield Street, and Lodge Road, plus the very bottom of Key Hill. My main memories of the area go back before 1949 when my gran was still teaching at All Saints' Infants [where all kids called her Nanny Walker, if not worse]. She often bought food and general items from the Flat before walking home along Park Road to Grasmere Road.
Peter

frankbck

knowlegable brummie
wow I remember Nortons I went there to see Father Xmas when i was a kid, we lived in Park Rd near the Flat

Frank

Jules65

master brummie
I always wondered why it was called "The Flats". Similarly, the other local shopping area we went to with Mom was Villa Road in Lozells (or Handsworth, I was never sure of the boundary). Villa road was known as "The Village" as in, " I'm gooing up the village! R yow cumin' !"

I would be very interested to hear anything of the history of "The Village" and "The Flats". Pictures of "The Flats" would also be welcomed
We lived in Lozells and my parents and grandparents always refered to going to Villa Road shops as "going up The Village". I was told by my nan (she was born in 1899) that this was because Handsworth was a separate village to Lozells which was part of Aston.

Phil B

Made in Brum
H

harborne

Thanks for that, Phil. Pardon me folks for calling it The Flats but I am harking back about 50-odd years! The Flat it was, then. We used to walk there from Hockley Brook and shop around the Villa too. I remember Woolworths used to sell WARM salted peanuts and mum always had to buy us some of those. Was George Mason there as well or was that straight up Soho Road? Can't remember now. I think we used to pass the Palladium on the way to it.

Harborne