• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Firs, Armoury Road, Small Heath

rowan

Born a Brummie
I have found an ancestor living at The Firs, Armoury Road, Small Heath in 1911. This sounds a bit of a posh house.....is it? and is it possible to find a picture of it? I have seen a picture of the road its self on the web.

He did work at the BSA as a gun machinist.

thank you in advance :angel:

Here is a map showing the Firs in red

map_c_1903_of_Armoury_road_showing_the_Firs.jpg

Many thanks to you both............... not so posh after all!

There's me visualising a huge house with a sweeping drive for the horse & carriage I don't think! :dejection:

Thank you both again

Re: The Firs, Armoury Road, Small Heath
My grandparents lived in the next terrace to your ancestor at 7, The Poplars, Armoury Rd around 1910.
Their daughter and their two sons lived with them until their marriages in the 1930s. Grandma lived there until her death in 1968.
Photo shows my uncle in the front garden of No. 7 in the mid 1920s
There are two more houses to the right.
The backs of the terrace houses in Byron Road can be seen across the railway cutting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 73
Re: The Firs, Armoury Road, Small Heath
My grandparents lived in the next terrace to your ancestor at 7, The Poplars, Armoury Rd around 1910.
Their daughter and their two sons lived with them until their marriages in the 1930s. Grandma lived there until her death in 1968.
Photo shows my uncle in the front garden of No. 7 in the mid 1920s
There are two more houses to the right.
The backs of the terrace houses in Byron Road can be seen across the railway cutting.
HI, I just come across this post.

We had familiy at no 7, would you know the full name of the person on the bike?

Here is a map showing the Firs in red

map_c_1903_of_Armoury_road_showing_the_Firs.jpg
Hello, do you know the age of the map? We lived at 44 and towards the Golden Hillock road a group of houses were missing due to bomb damage. The space was always called the "bombbuildings" all one word. The site of the houses was occupied over time by several firms including a scrap yard and a building firm known as Hough Brothers. As kids we were always told that both residents and workers had to show a pass to gain entry to Armoury Road during the war years as a security gate had been installed and, the adults were adamant, that not all of the victims of the B.S.A. bombing were recovered when the factory was hastily repaired in 1940/41.

If you were to save the map , then you would see that it is labelled c 1903 (I always try and label my maps). This is the publication date , and the actual survey would have been 1901-2

If you were to save the map , then you would see that it is labelled c 1903 (I always try and label my maps). This is the publication date , and the actual survey would have been 1901-2
Thankyou mikejee; most interesting. Our house, number 44 was in the block allotted to foremen at B.S.A. not that it made much difference, there was no inside plumbing except a sink that did not even have a waste trap. The house also served as a shop but I have yet to discover what was sold therein. B.S.A. must have sold the houses as we always paid rent to a private landlord. In the late 1950s Mom and Dad were offered the house for £250 to include the freehold, they turned the offer down.

For a number of years before WW2 no 44 was occupied by Samuel Haddleton. Mrs Haddleton, and later her son,Samuel jun , were teachers of music. So perhaps they sold musical items

I lived at The Firs with my Mum and Dad for a couple of years and moved away in 1975. My Dad, Tony Bartlett worked at the BSA at the time. I have vague memories of playing outside with a little girl, and our little token front "garden" : )

Back