• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the fighting cocks...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the fighting cocks..st marys row.. moseley...1880...

sure i can see a ghost like figure on the right of this pic...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Moseley Village Fighting Cocks 1880 .jpg
    Moseley Village Fighting Cocks 1880 .jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 8
Lyn, that doesn't look like the Fighting cocks I know even though it's an old photo, it's a corner pub.
Isee 3 figures a man and woman and a large pair of boots.

Lyn, that doesn't look like the Fighting cocks I know even though it's an old photo, it's a corner pub.
Isee 3 figures a man and woman and a large pair of boots.

John it has got the name on the front although I don,t know the pub myself. Dek

Heres another copy of Lyn's photo only this one shows a better image of the two ghost figures to the left of the photo that she mentions. They must have just walked into shot as the photographer was taking it.

Also an earlier drawing that I came across it must be of the original pub, but there again there could have been one before that I suppose.

Phil

FightingCocks1880.jpg
FightingCocks.jpg

Re the ghosts in the picture.

Just home and looked at my emails to see I had one from John Knight that was my late brother-in-laws name spookey.
Thanks for the new photo John what a lovely building.

Hi,

"It's the one before the one that's there now which was built for Holts brewery in 1889."

We've lost the pictures in #1 and #5, but are you saying that the first picture in #6 is a previous version of the Fighting Cocks in Moseley? That is very interesting. Is the frontage still on Alcester Road in that pic? If so, either it has moved down the road, or King Edward Road was not built at that point. Here is the Fighting Cocks (taken I would guess in the 1970's judging by the car) but it looks pretty much exactly the same now.

Jonathan

Fighting Cocks Moseley.jpg

The pub was rebuilt when the Holte brewery took it over in 1899. At the same time the pub was moved , and the site of the old building made into shops

Oh, I see. I expect this is not new to you, but I've just spent a while looking at old maps - the first one is 1890 and shows an 'Inn' in the middle of the row, which I would presume is the building in #6. The second map is from 1916 and shows the 'Hotel' on the corner.

Not sure if King Edward Road was cut along the same route as the lane/path which has '475' by it, or whether it was higher up Alcester Road, which would require other buildings to have been demolished. The map seems to imply it was further up, but that could just be due to the accuracy of one against the other.

The amount of building done in the 26 years between these two maps is amazing.

1890 from british history online.gif 1916 from old-maps.jpg

Back