• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The festival league. [football].

re foto back row l/r. steve richards (wyrley rd), dennis kennedy (station rd), david harris (yates st), peter rankin (lichfield rd),
paul turton (woodcock st),colin cash (church lane), stan arthurs (coach).
front row l/r. paddy carey (mansfield rd), micky wilkins (bevington rd), paul piper (queens rd), roger bluck (wyrley rd), peter piper (queens rd).

This was Ford Street football team, my brother is front row in the centre. Some of the names on the back row are out of order

Fordonians 9 Jan 1965 NEWSPAPER.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bob I played for Stratford star 1968/70 having played for Stratford town and Knowle town at the time. Would love to see any photos of the team during that time. I remember we used to get picked up at the Mermaid pub for the games and getting paid boot money to play. Also it would be nice to hear from any of the players during that period.

Used to play in the South Bham Sunday Lgein the late 50s but joined the Festival Lge in 1960.Played for a team called Hayden Rgs ,Won a couple of trophys.Then played for Castle Rvs in the Coronation Lge & Weoley Castle in Worc Comb under Stan Hunt Great Manager

Do anyone remember Great Barr Wanders FC we joined the Festival league in around 1957/58 I as a 15 year old was the secretary attending the league meetings at the Birchfield school. Mr Dunne was the secretary

Hi my grandad was Charles James Williams (Wag)
He played for and trained Newtown Unity.
I have a paper cut out of when they won the cup in 1972 he was the trainer by then after a leg break I believe.

Regards

Hi bit late to this but great memories in my advancing years.Played for Copeley Dynamo then Brookvale Athletic.Won the Glendower Trophy in 74 at Cooksey Lane.
Cyril( Sunny) James ran Stanley Star in the 60's along with Phil Summerills dad Ernie.
Played with Phil and occasionally Gary Pendrey.
Tony( the Arrow) Tarren glk. was indeed a butcher but ended up as a prison officer in Long Lartin! Retired early after being beaten up by the lags. Great players Mickey Speake,Johnny Hewitt.
Others at Brookvale were Roland Woollaston, Tony Penn, Tom Keogh, Greg Owen, Tommy Bennett.

Back