• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The festival league. [football].

It's one of my neighbours who is going to join the forum asked me put this question to the members. His dad ran Hutton road or rangers. Mr.Miller. I have put photo's on before of the team but Brian has quite a few that turned up in his late sisters house. Alf did Brookvale ever play against Brians dads team?. Jean.l

We only played 2 seasons in the early 60s then the Sunday Alliance 1960-67

Hi Jean,
Yes, I played for Carlton Rangers. Perry Hall seemed like a second home. Also a couple of games for Lion Rangers and Brookvale Athletic.Previously played for Byron Athletic in The Sunday Alliance, all great stuff.

Hi Dave. I think Mervin played for Lion Rangers. They used to win everything [so Pete says] and someone by the name of Gordon Richie played also. I think Mervin got the red card a few times. Bye. Jean.

This is for TCWARDPLUMBERS a photo with the Harrises on. Special request. Kenny is back row but you will recognise him Terry. I will look for my other one with Frankie on. Jean.

I played for one season in this league with Arden athletic 67/68 in the under 18 division ,We finished runners up on goal difference to a team called Tupelo.

I played for 2-3 seasons in the 70s Canterbury f.C we did win our division i year think it was div.3 Dek

Festival League.
Plyed for Erdington United in the Festival league 1968 on. Worked at Lewis's depot off Eachelhurst Road and two or three from the depot used to play for the team including Johnie Hately. Erdington United had two teams in different divisions of the league and used to meet at the Baggot at 9am on a Sunday, play the match wherever it was and be back at the Baggot for the lunchtime beer. Played all over North/NW Birmingham and as far South as Senley Fields. Was quite a good standard.
Frank Smith

We only played 2 seasons in the early 60s then the Sunday Alliance 1960-67

Just browsing this thread and came across this. I played for a team called Brookvale around 67/68 and I'm sure we played in the Sunday Alliance, and think it was the Sutton Sunday Alliance. I'm having difficulty remembering most of the team, but two immediately spring to mind, and that was Tony Tarrant (I think hew as a butcher) and Gareth Howells. I remember we played Streetly, and a colliery team near or in Minworth, but it's all a bit vague. The bloke who ran the Sunday team also ran a Saturday team I played for in The Birmingham Central Alliance, but I can't remember his name, or the name of the team.

Erdington Libs were in the Sunday Alliance and were based at the Golden Cross, Short heath Rd.
Some of the members were Kenny Chappel, Peter chappel, Trevor Chappel, David Arnold, Barry Toomer, John Hewitt, Dave sheppard, Ian Littlehales and Brian Liddington.

Erdington Libs were in the Sunday Alliance and were based at the Golden Cross, Short heath Rd.
Some of the members were Kenny Chappel, Peter chappel, Trevor Chappel, David Arnold, Barry Toomer, John Hewitt, Dave sheppard, Ian Littlehales and Brian Liddington.

I lived on the corner of Streetly Rd and Short Heath Rd fpr 12 years, and before that round the corner in Streetly Rd for 8, so the Golden was the nearest pub, and my 'home ground' was Perry Common Rec. I remember the Erdington Libs, but none of the names ring any bells.

I lived on the corner of Streetly Rd and Short Heath Rd fpr 12 years, and before that round the corner in Streetly Rd for 8, so the Golden was the nearest pub, and my 'home ground' was Perry Common Rec. I remember the Erdington Libs, but none of the names ring any bells.

I played in the Sunday Alliance in the 1960s for Brookvale Utd & Alexandra Supplies who ater became Newton Unity

Hi
I played for a team called West Villa in 1958-1959. Teams were allowed 2 permit semi-professionals, we had two German brothers. Much later played for The Red Admiral, who I think are still going.
John

John have you a brother named Lawrence?. I new the Gardner family from Yew Tree road and they did play football. Jean.

Back