• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Fair in Stechford!

Frank Parker

https://frankparker.website
The fair is at Stechford now and it got me wondering how many years it as been at the Stechford Lane site? Also was it ever anywhere else in Stechford before its current location? :rolleyes:

I'll get the ball rolling and say I think I remember it from about 1963 but I'm probably not the oldest person on here at a young 53!

Have a good weekend

Ron

bluebrummie, I remember the fairground at Stechford pre WW2, it was Drakeleys fair, they owned the site and when winter came they would stay there until they went on the road when the good weather started in the next year, there were many attempts to stop them holding a fair on the site on the grounds of road congestion as you see all failed, they were never as big as Pat Collin`s fair, i don`t know if the Drakeley still own the site. Len.

Frothblower, No buildings that i remember, they lived in their caravans during the winter. All posters on this thread Google " Showmans Guild of Great Britain" its a great site. Len.

WOW great memories folks! I had no idea it went that far back!! I can only remember going in the 70's as a kid. :)

Hi, talking about fairs etc., I had a moment of 'de ja vou' some years back. I crossed the road where the bridge over the river Cole goes under the Stratford Road nr Springfield ( if I remember rightly - its over 40 years ago). However I suddenly visualised my mother crossing what appeared to be the same road and the same bridge, when I was a child, so that would have been in the forties. On the bank the other side was a gypsy caravan of the type where the door was in the middle, running around were lots of chickens. I remember being told this was my aunt Mary's caravan. Gt. Aunt I should think,

However I gave it no more thought until I started researching my family tree and I questioned an old uncle. He told me that my Granddad had a sister named Mary who ran off with a trapeze artiste named Monseuir le Blond from Collins circus.

I know Collins had a fair but not a circus, although i think they did have various acts in the open at the fair. I thought that the fair came to the River Cole area at Hay Mills, so I thought that mught have been the place. But someone told me that the fairground people wintered at the rive Cole in Yardley ?, just before you turn right for the Hunters Moon?

I think I have set out my locations right, but do any of you fairground buffs, know anything that might help me find out about Gt. Anut Mary? I suspect that Monseuir le Blond is really Fred White!!! thats why I cant find her marriage anywhere.:biggrin:

Incidentally do you remember the parade of animals and artistes when the Circus came to town, and one day I think an elephant escaped. Even if we didnt get to see the Circus, the parade was always exciting. Thanks, Marie.

mariep, Shipway Rd is down from the roundabout and the River Cole bridge on the Coventry Rd, Bob Wilsons house is there and the fair wintered behind, on the right hand side of River Cole at Hay Mills, i remember there were sideshows, Boxing booths, Giant rat (Coypu) and other unusual animals, Belly dancers and Magic shows etc, Bertram Mills & Bill Smarts circus came to Hay Mills Recreation ground and in recent years Zippos. Len.

John My Gt Grandparents were Knight's I am still researching these people.

My Grandmother was Lily Knight born 1881 (she married William Clifton - I think they could have been cousins cause Cliftons & Knights come into my tree twice in same generation) - her father was John Knight born 1832 (John's father was also a John Knight born c 1810 maybe)

they are still a work in Progress.

Thank you all for your replies. Have investigated the link you sent. Looks good. Will let you know if something good comes of it.. Mariep

John,
I to am a Knight. While i never lived in Cromwell st, my grandfather and gt grandfather did. Grandad's name was George Richard Knight, and he married Mary Elizabeth Clives in 1918.
Gt grandfather was Joseph william Knight born 1849. married Harriett Cutler in 1876.
Do you know any of these names? I'd be very interested to hear from you either way.
Eddie

Eddie,
You have just sent a shiver down my spine.
Your grandad was my father !
Which side of the family are you from, I have a few photographs.
By the way hello relative.

John and Eddie
Is there any chance some of your Knights people connect to my Knight family? Is their anywhere I could view either of your trees?

I know I've a lot of Knights my gt Grandma was Lily Knight born 1881 - they are a big family so I am just wondering whether there may be connections somehow!!

It's great you guys turned out to be related by the way!!
Happy New Year to you

Eddie,
You have just sent a shiver down my spine.
Your grandad was my father !
Which side of the family are you from, I have a few photographs.
By the way hello relative.
I just love it when this happens........it's what this site is all about reuniting friends and family!:)

Hiya Elizabeth 1,
I have my tree on genes reunited and Ancestry.co.uk My email address is [email protected] feel free to contact me and i'll try to upload a gedcom of the knights part of the tree and send it to you.
Happy new year to you and yours
Eddie

Back