• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Faces of Hockley/Aston Men - 1941

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have recently received from South Africa a wonderful image by H.J. Whitlock & Sons of around 150 Hockley/Aston men photographed in October 1941 in a Home Guard group. I have put up a magnified version of this here.

Could members have a look at it please? Surely someone will recognise a father, grandfather or uncle?

Each face will magnify further to almost portrait quality. There are lads there barely past their 15th birthday (the only one so far identified) and men up to their sixties and perhaps beyond. I'll attach a few faces abstracted at random to give you an idea. (The very young child is certainly a mascot, and proud he looks, too! But all the others were serving in the unit).

Chris

Attachments

• Port5.jpg
    Port5.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 9
  • MiscPortrait1.jpg
    MiscPortrait1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Port2.jpg
    Port2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Port4.jpg