• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The 'Exchange' beer house.

Hello, I believe my great great great grandfather ran the Royal Exchange around 1901 - James Hemming. I have a photo of him outside with his name up on the window and the census records - does anyone know if there's anywhere I could check old pub records possibly for more information? Many thanks in advance.

The 1901 census lists James as a packing case maker at 39 Granville St

Kellys directory of 1900, 1903 and 1904 list James Hemming as a beer retailer at 39, Granville St .

The 1891 census lists 39 Granville St as the Royal Exchange beerhouse.

It was very common for beerhouse keepers to also have another occupation, and sometimes this is what is listed on the census. In these cases the establishment was often run by the wife , daughter or some other person for much of the time, while the listed licensee carried out his other job.

The year of the Kellys is the publication date and can usually be assumed to refer to the year before. James is not listed at all in the 1899 or 1908 Kellys. Therefore it would seem that he came to the royal Exchange in 1899 and left at sometime in the period 1903-1907. In March 1907 the police did object to the renewal of his licence after he had been convicted of selling beer outside permitted hours, but the magistrates did renew his licence. It would seem. However that shortly afterwards he in fact gave up the tenancy. this would probably have been because of the behaviour of his son, who was later convicted of assault, the magistrate asking for it to be referred to the licensing magistrates

Birm Gazette 4.2.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpgBirm Gazette 8.3.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpgBirm Gazette 14.8.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpgBirm Gazette 31.1.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpg

Wow, thank you so much! I have been googling and didn’t know where else to look! I have only started researching my family tree since the lockdown so I’m new to this. I will try and post the picture now.

The 1901 census lists James as a packing case maker at 39 Granville St

Kellys directory of 1900, 1903 and 1904 list James Hemming as a beer retailer at 39, Granville St .

The 1891 census lists 39 Granville St as the Royal Exchange beerhouse.

It was very common for beerhouse keepers to also have another occupation, and sometimes this is what is listed on the census. In these cases the establishment was often run by the wife , daughter or some other person for much of the time, while the listed licensee carried out his other job.

The year of the Kellys is the publication date and can usually be assumed to refer to the year before. James is not listed at all in the 1899 or 1908 Kellys. Therefore it would seem that he came to the royal Exchange in 1899 and left at sometime in the period 1903-1907. In March 1907 the police did object to the renewal of his licence after he had been convicted of selling beer outside permitted hours, but the magistrates did renew his licence. It would seem. However that shortly afterwards he in fact gave up the tenancy. this would probably have been because of the behaviour of his son, who was later convicted of assault, the magistrate asking for it to be referred to the licensing magistrates

View attachment 144110View attachment 144111View attachment 144112View attachment 144113

Mike have you got a map with The Exchange's position on please , I'm very interested with this as I lived in William St and had no knowledge of the pub thanks

Hello, I believe my great great great grandfather ran the Royal Exchange around 1901 - James Hemming. I have a photo of him outside with his name up on the window and the census records - does anyone know if there's anywhere I could check old pub records possibly for more information? Many thanks in advance.
Hi, I am researching my family tree and this James Hemming was my Great Great Grandfather

Hi. I have family recorded as living there on the 1851 census. The ancestor is Henry Phipps and he and his family are there. He is listed as a builder even though the address is given as ‘Royal Exchange, Granville Street’; it was only through googling the address, I came to this thread on the forum. No-one at the address is listed as a beer retailer/license.

Hi, I've just stumbled on this post, James Hemming is also my three times Great Grandfather, his Daughter Ann is my great-great grandmother, and so it's nice to see other descendants out there!

James was from my Dad's Mom's side of the family and as I don't have any photos of anyone before my grandparents' generation, it was lovely to see the photo of the Royal Exchange on the Ancestry website.

Mike sorry for the delay after picking up this thread again after so long my friend tells me he thinks that became a so called halfway house later on , the frontage in the 60's was just plain render not at all resembling anything like the pic

Back