• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The English Language.

I've been watching the 'Walter presents' European tv programmes for weeks now, many are located at various European borders so they have Swedish Danish Polish German and other police forces working together cross border, when they're in their own countries they speak their own languages but when they all get together they invariably speak in English.
We had an Indy Car Grand Prix race in Nashville this past Sunday, most of the drivers were interviewed, all spoke English or some version not their native tongue!

A fascinating topic...sometimes I see logic in changes to words in other English speaking countries. However, using a verb to describe a noun is not one of them. The TIRE vs. TYRE is the most common example, this makes no sense to me.
Dave A

Really interesting thread, this is!!
My pet hates include the Americanisms of the english, ie 'fabricating' instead of maufacturing...
I am now hooked on WORDLE and do it every day, but somedays get hard pushed to work out the spelling (due to americanism) or just that it doesn't exist in the Enlish (UK) language!!

Really interesting thread, this is!!
My pet hates include the Americanisms of the english, ie 'fabricating' instead of maufacturing...
I am now hooked on WORDLE and do it every day, but somedays get hard pushed to work out the spelling (due to americanism) or just that it doesn't exist in the Enlish (UK) language!!
H’m, I have lived in the US for 60 years, 55 in manufacturing. Here fabrication is a sub set to manufacturing discriminating usually the difference between a machines and and assembled part and one put together. The other use for that word is for ex, a story or saying that is not true and “fabricated” or a lie.

whilst on the subject on the American useage of the English language it seems that in Appalachia - West Virginia for instance - some older English words are used which older people in parts of Britain still use particularly, in the West of England.

whilst on the subject on the American useage of the English language it seems that in Appalachia - West Virginia for instance - some older English words are used which older people in parts of Britain still use particularly, in the West of England.
Yes, also In neighboring parts of Pennsylvania and Kentucky which are for the most part rural like Appalachia.

Back