• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The end - 60 years ago

Tram experts required!

This picture comes from Derek Harrison's collection and appeared in print in Pat Whitehouse's book "The Great Western in the West Midlands" in 1984.

Small_Heath_March_1907-002.jpg

The picture shows work to replace an original girder bridge in Small Heath in March 1907, the caption refers to a BCT tram in the right hand background.

My bones tell me it is at Sandy Lane but I am open to suggestions. From the shadows I am assuming we are looking toward the city.

So which tram route came close enough to the GWR line into Snow Hill to be able to see a tram?

My interest however is the remains of the original bridge to the left of frame with the three men standing next to the track as this one of I K Brunel's "Balloon topped tubular bridges from 1852 the only other known example being over the Warwick Road near Olton Station.

Since writing this I have discovered that the 22 tram terminated at the end of Waverley Road which is a short distance from the GWR crossing over the Warwick & Birmingham Canal which fits better with the image.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have the dubious honour of dealing with the last traffic accident involving a tram in Birmingham. The accident occurred at about 4pm on the last day when a tram returning to the city along Aston Road North collided with a motor cyclist waiting to turn right into Bracebridge Street. The tram failed to stop. The motor cyclist was injured but not seriously.
I was a constable stationed at Aston Police Station
and attended to take details. The tram driver was arrested at the terminus in Steelhouse Lane and it was found he had a crate of beer with him. Apparenly a party was in progress at the depot and those who could not attend because they were on duty took the drinks out with them. He was subsequently fined at the magistrates court and I have no doubt that he lost his job. A sad end to what had probably been a blameless career before this incudent.

Old Boy

Back