• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Eagle, Floodgate Street

Mike

It was also called The Floodgate Tavern for a while, in between The White Swan & The Eagle.

Phil

WhiteSwanFloodgateSt.jpg
BordesleyTheFloodgateTavern.jpg

Speaking to someone who has recently had a drink in there, appear the refurbishment maybe a slight over statement! Lick of paint over the existing rotten wood! But at least someone is having a go

Was this the pub that was owned by the actor who played Benny in cross roads?

Just done a search for Bennys Bar, which I believe was the name of Paul Henry's bar in Digbeth, and that was on Coventry Street so it appears it wasn't this pub

I think what used to be benny's bar is now a back packers hostel, I could be confusing that with another pub though.

I got a bit excited when I saw the title of this thread and thought for a minute the old Eagle and Tun was re-opening. Shame!

I had many a good time there in the 1970s when I worked up the road at Crane Screws, it was an Ansells pub called The White Swan. It was one of those pubs that totally ignored the law on opening times. When the blues played at home the smoke room would be full of policemen ten minutes after the match started, they would stay until ten minutes before it finished despite the fact it was supposed to close at 2.30 they had all day opening about 30 years before it became legal!

it was called Billys not Bennys
Correct
"Paul undertook a number of ventures since his departure from the Crossroads motel; for a while he tried his hand at running a pub, first Billy’s Bar in Digbeth, then the Actress and Bishop in the Jewellery Quarter."

Back