• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Eagle and Ball Pub

snail1956

As this is my first post, I'm hoping that I'm correctly following all the rules. I'm researching the name of the Eagle and Ball pub, I know that there used to be three Eagle and Ball pubs in Birmingham, but now only on remains, being rebuilt as part of the Universities expansion. However, no where else in the Country can I find a pub named the Eagle and Ball. So I'm assuming that the name has something to do with Birmingham, but I've drawn a blank. Can anyone please help and explain what the pub name means or what it is named after.

Would these be (1) Gopsal St (surviving as students union), (2) 70 Ladywood Road Thomas Palser (1912 Directory)and (3) Morville St - George Palser (1861/2Census and Directory).
2 and 3 seem to be a strange coincidence, 2 different Eagle and Ball pubs both listed with Palsers?

David

If I remember rightly somewhere on the Forum we have encountered the Eagle and Balls. I think I got my Balls mixed up again.

In 1912 the three Eagle & Balls were 70 Ladywood Road, 1 mosely St & 12 PennSt . As can be seen from the c1950 map, 70 Ladywood Road is on the corner with Morville st, so they have merely changed their address to be on the other street at the corner (which has happened in other cases).
However the first Eagle and Ball was in Colmore St, which disappeared when New St station was built. It states in "The old Taverns of Birmingham" by Eliezer Edwards (pub 1879) that it was originally called the Eagle, but was always called the Eagle & Ball because in a niche above the door there was an Eagle perched on a globe

map c1950 corner Morville St and Ladywood road.jpg

Thanks for the map extract. I am struggling to find Ladywood Road on a modern map, is it now Ladywood Parkway?

I have been looking for a photo of The Eagle & Ball in the corner of Moseley Street and Sherlock Street for ages and I'm still looking so of anybody comes across one I wouldn't mind a copy. Here are the ones on Penn Street-Gopsal Street anPenn Street Eagle & Ball.jpg Ladywood Eagle & Ball Ladywood Rd.jpg d Ladywood Road Morville Street.

What a sad photo of the pub on Morville street, I take it this now the site of the Five ways medical centre?
This is the pub George Palser was the landlord (1861 census) who was my gt,gt grandfather. His photo is in the Palser thread on this forum.
Nice conclusion to an old photo of a nameless family member.

Here's a 2d pub token from the Eagle & Ball, licensee was John Siddall, anyone any idea what years he was there please?Eagle&Ball.jpg

Interesting item, what is its purpose? I can only guess it is along the lines of what we would call a credit note today
whats on the other side?

As this is my first post, I'm hoping that I'm correctly following all the rules. I'm researching the name of the Eagle and Ball pub, I know that there used to be three Eagle and Ball pubs in Birmingham, but now only on remains, being rebuilt as part of the Universities expansion. However, no where else in the Country can I find a pub named the Eagle and Ball. So I'm assuming that the name has something to do with Birmingham, but I've drawn a blank. Can anyone please help and explain what the pub name means or what it is named after.
the eagle and ball was corner of jamacia row and pershore st st i used to go there in the late sixties , the gaffer then was larry bridges ex copper we had some great lockins o happy days of long ago

eagle and ball corner of jamica row and pershore st the gaffer in the late sixties was larry bridges ex copper digbeth polce station we had some great lockins in the sixties happy days

Is this the Eagle and Ball from, 1 Moseley Street/28 Sherlock Street?
Supposedly recognised by locals, but perhaps later in it's life.

eagle and ball.jpg

Last edited:
And according to 1818-20 Pigots wasn't there another Eagle & Ball pub (only one at that time)
with a Jos Warden running it, in Colmore Row?
Still there in 1835 Pigots, with Jos Warden, but says 13 Colmore Street.
1849 White's , with Jas Onions, 13 Colmore Street. (still only one at this time)

1852 Slater's, no mention of above now
Eagle & Ball, Pen Street, licensee John Huskisson

1858 Dix
Eagle & Ball, 12 Penn Street, licensee Elizabeth Morris
Eagle & Ball, 1 Moseley Street, licensee George Docker

Last edited:
Here's a 2d pub token from the Eagle & Ball, licensee was John Siddall, anyone any idea what years he was there please?
John Siddall is listed in the directory of 1872 as running a beerhouse at 70 Ladywood Road - which is the location of the Eagle and ball shown on a map as the corner of Ladywood Road and Morville Street.
He is listed on 1871 census at that address as a publican but no name given for the premises. He died in 1877.

Interesting item, what is its purpose? I can only guess it is along the lines of what we would call a credit note today
whats on the other side?
IMG_4532.jpgHi, here's a picture of the other side.The link mikejee posted is useful, I've got two theories, first is that if your mate bought a round and you'd already got a drink you got a token instead to redeem later or secondly maybe you gave the landlord a shilling and got more value back in tokens so it tied you to the pub and also if your missus asked for money you could genuinley say you'd got none! These tokens come up regularly on eBay, sometimes for a few quid and occasionally for three figures. They're the last tangible remains of some pubs....

yes i agree covade these pub tokens are very often all that is left of so many lost pubs...i have a little list of tokens to look for but only for pubs that have a meaning to me...so far i have got 2 out of the 12 that interest me

lyn

Back