• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Eagle and Ball Pub

Susan shaw

master brummie
yes this is the one mosely st
Hi Patricia, Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new myself.
I used to live in Gopsal Street . I spent a very happy childhood there. Our family moved from there to Sheldon in 1968. The Eagle and Ball was one of many pubs used by our families. We had The Kings Arms, The Railway, The Black Horse and The Duke of York I don’t think my post will help you in any way but I just wanted to mention to you that “I was there”. I do not know any history on the pub I’m afraid but I do know they had great Christmas parties for us local children. It was a great area, with lots of relatives living by us. #7 is how I remember the pub. It looks quite different now, they have done a wonderful job on the refurb. It is used by the Students . There is a fab photograph on the site somewhere, I will try and find it for you. I haven’t been down there for a look for a few years, though we are regular visitors to town via Curzon Street. (before lockdown of course). Unfortunately, little is known about Gopsal Street, Howe Street and Cardigan Street, so I got very excited when I saw your post. On the plus side I have found great pictures of Curzon Street, Belmont Row, A B Row and surrounding streets which have meant so much to me. The team and members of BHF do a wonderful job in providing information and photographs for us Brummies. I cannot thank them enough. I am sure they will be able to help you with your research.
Good luck and thank you. Hope this post is not too off thread. Kind regards, Sue

patricia NASH

knowlegable brummie
hello susan , thanks for message , it was my husband who lived in that area his family had a shop in bishop street when he was older he used the eagle and ball i did not know it was still there, we left brum 28 yrs ago live in torquay devon he had a auntie who lived in sheldon just of the cov we very rarely visit brum we are now offical devon dumplings lol

Susan shaw

master brummie
hello susan , thanks for message , it was my husband who lived in that area his family had a shop in bishop street when he was older he used the eagle and ball i did not know it was still there, we left brum 28 yrs ago live in torquay devon he had a auntie who lived in sheldon just of the cov we very rarely visit brum we are now offical devon dumplings lol
Aww, lovely part of the country. All the best, take care. Sue

Davidsteam

BSA owner and rider
Im interested in the Morville St Eagle and Ball, particularly the history after 1861 (George Palser), Would the landlord have brewed his own beer or resold from a larger brewery? I see its an Ansells pub in the 50s or 60s photo, I presume its by then a tied house? Would Ansells have acquired through take overs of smaller brewing concerns?
Lastly I should love to see a George Palser beer token, or a Palser beer token for New Inns Muntz St!

RobT

Acemeccanoman
Here's a 2d pub token from the Eagle & Ball, licensee was John Siddall, anyone any idea what years he was there please?View attachment 154554
In 1875 Whites Trade Directory, there was a J.Siddall, living at 70 Ladywood Road, although there is no mention of a pub at that address at that time.

70 Ladywood road 1875 Whites Trade Directory.JPG

In 1879 Birmingham Post Office Directory there is a Mrs. Sarah Siddall at 70 Ladywood Road,
beer retailer.

70 Ladywood road 1879 Bham Post Office Directory.JPG

Last edited: