• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Down Train

christopher short

Birmingham Post
When my Father thought I was telling him a lie or someone told him something he could hardly believe, he would say,
"You must think I came up on the down train". A great put down, I still use it to this day.

On the same theme he sometimes would say, " Is there (or, see) any green in my eye ?"

When l was little and couldn't find an old toy (that had probably been binned) my nan would say , " It's gone west up the new line". A reference to the railway line crossing America. Has any one else come across this saying?

"Gone West" certainly was used by my father when referring to something that was broken and needed throwing away. No reference to a new line though.

Maurice

Back