• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Demolition of the former B.C.T Bus Garage at Quinton

Sad series of photos recording the demise of this once fine depot which proudly displayed the words "Birmingham City Transport" right until the end. As the owner of a former Quinton bus, albeit in need of much restoration work, such scenes make me more determined to see it restored to join other preserved buses that served at Quinton.

They say all good things come to an end. I guess that is true here. Quinton was regarded as a showpiece garage, as far as I know, and one of the last to be built for the BCT.

Yes Quinton was the second last one built, opening on 30th October 1949 and sadly closing 18th June 1997. The last one built was Lea Hall opening 19th April 1955 and closed 24th July 2010 although thankfully it still exists but used by a clothes recycling firm.

Simon

Yes I knew the Quinton Garage well because the no. 9 was my local BCT bus. They used to keep delicenced buses in the yard running along side Ridgacre Road. Have not been able to access the Flickr photos as I am getting a Page Not Found error. Have to admit that I find the current Tesco supermarket on the site very convenient.

David,

Same error message here so I guess that horsencart must have removed then.

Maurice

Back